Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 11:07:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sub-3:00 SGM group  (Read 41300 times)
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2008, 10:52:10 am »

That's kinda what I'm planning on...just going by feel.  But I want to have at least a tentative plan/goal so that I don't start out too quick...that's been my nemesis ever since getting home.
Paul Thomas
Lurker

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2008, 12:04:55 pm »

Everybody....take a deep breath.....breath....just race by feel and you will be fine.   We can only control certain thing and most of it is out of our control.  I think it is good to have a plan but knowing that it will most likely change due to cercumstances beyond our control.  We are all going to ROCK!

I enjoyed my buddy Larry's comment in his blog today (see http://larry.fastrunningblog.com/blog--W-Paul-amp-Wayne-easy-8-54-avg-l/10-01-2008.html). I hope you've all been good so Marathon Santa will bring you what you want. I asked him for a shiny new sub-3:00. Happy Marathon Christmas to all!
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2008, 01:53:36 pm »

I would imagine the Marathon Santa is much skinnier than the regular Santa?  BMI of maybe 18 instead of 40?  Do you leave him a Gu and some Powerade instead of milk and cookies?  Hmmm...interesting thought...
Cameron Clarke
Lurker

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2008, 03:40:49 pm »

When you guys use your Garmins, how do you set it up so it records your mile splits? Do you create a 26.2 mile workout or just push the lap button every mile (yuck)?
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »

I agree, Joe will blow away 3:00 as long as he doesn't go out too fast.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2008, 04:02:38 pm »

Cameron with my Garmin I usually just turn the AutoLap feature on with the default lap distance of 1 mile. Sometimes for races where the Garmin gets all glitchy (like Hobble) I'll turn AutoLap off and manually (if I remember) push the lap button each mile, but every year I've used a Garmin at SGM it's pretty much been right on with the mile markers. I think sometimes I've maybe measured SGM just a hair long.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2008, 09:08:43 am »

I would imagine the Marathon Santa is much skinnier than the regular Santa?  BMI of maybe 18 instead of 40?  Do you leave him a Gu and some Powerade instead of milk and cookies?  Hmmm...interesting thought...

Larry's blog entry and the comments about SGM Christmas and Marathon Santa are great. After some additional "research" on Marathon Santa, I've discovered the following tidbits of trivia.....

Besides being much skinnier than regular Santa, Marathon Santa sports hot red (or is it pink? see monaflash's blog) shorts and a red singlet.

He doesn't need a sleigh and 8 reindeer to get around, he's content to run in his red flats with his 8 pacing "rabbits" just ahead.

He doesn't live in the North Pole, rumor has it he lives in the mountains of Kenya. Instead of elves to help him out he employs legions of young Kenyan runners who go far and wide throughout the world, showing the rest of us "the way".

Sightings of Marathon Santa are rare, in fact many don't believe Marathon Santa exists. Some believe Marathon Santa can be found in the picture found at the following link (if you look close you can also see one of his pace "rabbits" right behind. However others believe this is actually the Marathon "Grinch" pretending to be Marathon Santa):

http://picasaweb.google.com/SpanishForkHalfand5K/SpanishFork12Marathon5k#5244060523387175810

And of course there are always those old favorite Marathon Christmas Carols to help provide a festive atmosphere and ambience, including the following:

"The 26.2 Miles of Marathon" (sung to tune of "12 Days of Christmas")

"Sasha the Red-Haired Speedster" (sung to "Rudolph")

"Grandma got ran over by a Clydesdale"

"GreenShorts" - (rather than GreenSleeves)
in honor of our own green-shorts Jon ("What runner is this? Who comes to run...in green shorts? How ugly?")

OK enough of the silliness..but hey I didn't run this morning so I've got to do something to channel all that pre-race energy and nervousness! I echo Paul's sentiments of Happy Marathon Christmas to all, and to all a great race!!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2008, 09:41:52 am »

Thanks for a laugh this morning, Tom- Definitely taper week with extra free time Grin
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2008, 10:14:29 am »

Santa or Grinch?  Well, notice the sinister face was also present at the Top of Utah Marathon.  Smiley

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30864837@N08/2906933361/sizes/o/

Here is skinny Santa:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30864837@N08/2907833274/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:50:22 am by Paul (RivertonPaul) » Logged
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2008, 10:35:54 am »

I'm thinking imposter Grinch rather than the "real" Marathon Santa Claus, or could that be Sasha Claus?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: