Fast Running Blog
May 13, 2024, 03:15:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marathon movie  (Read 10067 times)
Logan Fielding
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 06:31:28 am »

Absolutely loved the movie last night.  I got a little emotional when it showed Deena Kastor coming in and winning bronze at the 2004 Athens Olympics.  That was inspiring!  If you didn't see it, they are showing it again on February 21st.  Get your tickets!
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 07:25:43 am »

I got all teary eyed from the start.  It was really good.  My only criticism is that they followed about six people, two world class, on 3:10ish and then the rest were noncompetitive.  I would have liked to have seen a person or two at my level or elite like Paul Petersen, people who are really good but more approachable.  Something between 50 mpw and 140 mpw.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 08:24:09 am »

I agree with Michelle.  I had a hard time indentifying with any of the runners.  It would have been nice to see somebody like "us" - the runners who have jobs and families but still work hard to maximize their potential.  I did enjoy the movie but was expecting a little more.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 09:34:19 am »

Yes! That's exactly what I said in my blog. I had a hard time relating to the runners, because it has been so many years since I was in that "trying to qualify and not sure what I'm doing" mode, yet I'm not elite. There were really no FRB-type runners.

I thought the guy trying to qualify for Boston was kind of whiny. I don't know if it was just me, but he had some insecurities going on there, even before he got hurt. Other than that- I really liked the personalities of all the others. I kept thinking his wife was going to tell him to "shut up"! lol
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 09:43:08 am »

Hopefully the Feb showing will be in Logan so the group up here can see it.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:57 am »

Hopefully it will come out on Netflix.
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

I took my son James and enjoyed it but I would agree with everyone else that it ws hard to truly identify with since it did not really have any "sub-elites". Individuals that are not just trying to get a BQ but those that are striving to make the Olympic Trials Standard or at least those that are around 2:30s for men and sub 3:00 for women. It was a good documentary overall but I did leave wishing it would have spent more time on the two elites as their stories did interest me more than the others. However, with the vast majority of the targeted audience in mind it probably resonated well with the general populace.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 11:12:15 am »

Overall a good documentary with a good mix of elite and regular marathoners mixed in.  I agree that I really didn't identify with any of the runners in particular, even the 3:10 guy who was closest really didn't seem to be too focused at tiimes (and then got injured).   One of the gals who runs at the gym the same time I do commented on his "demonstration" of the elite pace on his treadmill of running 12mph.  She looked back and said "I see Jeff do that nearly every morning" which was kind of a cool complement.

Interesting to see the how the different training programs work across the country...amazed by the organization of the Chicago area runners association group runs.  I am much more like the Lori gal in doing most my stuff solo, but enjoy the company when I get it!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: