Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 05:30:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting back on the horse  (Read 3063 times)
Aaron Shakow
Lurker

« on: October 29, 2009, 12:47:21 pm »

After a year and a half I've finally finished my doctoral dissertation. Running has been erratic during this period--and unfortunately blogging has been more or less nonexistent, so I'll have to summarize verbally.  Essentially, I've kept it consistently between 25 and 50 mpw, depending on the proximity of one deadline or another, usually around 45. Right now I'm at 30, running 7-8 miles every other day. Diet has likewise been erratic, sometimes good, but in the home stretch during September I paid almost no attention to it. Sleep has not been good at all.

When all this began, I was at about a 19.5 min 5k, 1:34 half, and I'd run a marathon in 3:26 after crashing in the final 3 miles. Working goals are to hit a 5k in spring around 18 min and a 3:15 Boston qualifier. Basically have five months to do it.

I was at 45 mpw as late as early september, and am comfortable with an 8 mile daily run, i think I could build my base back up pretty quickly. Muscular fitness seems decent, but breathing pretty heavily when I try to hit pace for long. I ditched my watch in 2008 and haven't run with it since, but it's probably time to start thinking about pace runs.

Anyone have any bright ideas about diet and training trajectory? I will say that more sleep is helping already.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:06:52 am »

I'd suggest not rushing it.  Go for the 5k goal next Spring and maybe set a goal for the 1/2 marathon.  Your stated pr's show you easily have the speed to qualify for Boston and more of a weakness in endurance which basically takes patience and time.  Too much too soon may cause you to end up with an injury.  Gradually build back up and try to qualify for Boston next Fall. 

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:23:08 pm »

I agree with Dave.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: