Fast Running Blog
May 29, 2024, 08:22:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coming off injury and training for 1st marathon  (Read 3588 times)
Christopher Bradley
Lurker

« on: March 01, 2009, 12:40:40 pm »

I'm coming off two stress fractures in my right lower leg, that kept me from running for four months. Before that I ran because of my job in the army and that was it. I was good at it but didn't take it too seriously also was a smoker back then. Since the injury I've decided to take it very seriously and quite smoking and have decided to train up for my first marathon (Chicago in Oct. in hopes of qualifying for Boston on my first try).  The first 7 weeks I've dedicated to just recovery(Walk-Run style till I'm running around 60 min without stopping). That will leave me 6 months for a train-up to my first marathon.  I've been on runnersworld.com and looked up there smart coach. I guess my question is would you guys trust that for a trainning guide? It only has me running 3 days out of the week (one long one short one tempo/speed). I live in Germany and I don't feel I have anyone I can turn to too help coach me on this. My team all turn to me when it comes to running questions and workouts. Prior to injury I was running about 15 to 20 miles a week with an average 2 mile time of 12:30. Help get me back on the right path please.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »

Simple answer- if you want to meet your potential and run fast (maybe BQ?), then you need to run.  Plain and simple, the best way to get faster at running is to run more.  The general consensus on the blog is that Runners World type of "run 3 days a week" schedule does not help you meet potential.  If you run 3 days/week and cross train 3 days/week, you will be in good cross training shape.  Run every day, or at least 5-6 days a week.  If you can run 6 miles every day, great.  Raw mileage will be the biggest benefit.  Doing a tempo/speed workout on only 15-20 miles/week does not seem right to me- I would not worry about speedwork until you are much higher in mileage.

One other note- as you increase miles, don't be afraid if you slow down.  An average 2 mile time of 12:30 with only 20 mpw shows you have good speed.  But if you are running 40 mpw or up to 60+ mpw, you can't run that fast every day.  Run every day for a while at a comfortable pace.  Slowly increase mileage.  A long run every other week will help.  But just slowly build miles as much as you can.  Then check back with us in a few months for high mileage advice.

Read Sasha's very good advice:
http://asksasha.com/Running/Top-10-Training-Mistakes.html
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:14:07 pm »

Just to add to what Jonathan said. If you're not running at least 4-5 days a week, and I'd argue 6 days a week, given the current mileage you're at, then I'd invest no time in anything but aerobic base work. No need to do any speedwork, or even tempo work if you're not getting in at least 4 days a week. Will tempo work help? Definitely, but, until you get to 5-6 days a week, week after week, with at least 40 mpw, your time is best spent on aerobic work. If you want to BQ and you're under 30 this probably means 7:45-8:45 miles. If you're a bit older you can probably add a touch of time to it. Its a question of benefit to time. Simply put, your time is limited and best spent running moderately easy miles until you get to 6 days a week and 50-60 miles per week. Certainly plenty of people have qualified for Boston on 3 day/week programs with 3 CT days, but you'd do better if you're going to spend 6 days working out doing them all running. Follow the 10% mileage increase every 2 weeks under 35 mpw and move to 10% increase every 3 weeks after 40 mpw.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:40:36 pm »

Jeff - perhaps your mention that some people can qualify for Boston off 3 days of running a week deserves a little bit of explanation. BQ standard is not that high. A potentially 2:35 marathoner can easily get it off 3 days a week. However, do not let that guy trick you into thinking his "success", or more accurately "bummer" (bummer indeed to  run 3:09 when you have the ability to run 2:35 with better training), is owed in any degree to his training methods. He just has the natural ability that permits him to run faster than his peers off inferior training.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:06:33 am »

Sasha, true, and people should not be duped into believing that if one can do it another can do it. Clearly the best way to become a better running is by running as much as the body can properly handle. But there are 3 day running with 3 day CT plans that do work for BQ. Check out this article http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--11816-0,00.html . Now, I don't necessarily agree with the premise of the article that this program will actually yield better results than a 6 day/week running program, however, if one was to CT 3 days a week in place of running, this would be a way to do it. The program does require rigorous running training, and I would almost have to assume that to pull this off and not become overly fatigued would require a solid base of running going into the program. The bottom line is that plenty of 'normal' runners have qualified for Boston off programs such as the FIRST program, but those same runners almost indubitably would have done better had they focused their CT days on running. CT is great if you ADD it on top of your running program, but when CT is used in place of running, the results are less desirable.
David S
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 02:01:21 pm »

I followed a program somewhat along these principles last fall.  And I had a huge PR, and without the 90% and 25 MPH sustain winds, I might have BQ'd, as it was I missed by 10 minutes.  But my legs died on me around 16.  I was running inconsistently and did not have a good base built.  Utlimately, I have come to believe that base mileage and running consitently are the keys to reaching one's full potential.  BTW - here is an interesting article to counter the one referenced on the Runner's World website: 
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/6/6_1/1180.shtml
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: