Fast Running Blog
May 02, 2024, 02:29:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie question Aided/Un-Aided  (Read 5892 times)
Eric Day
Posting Member

« on: November 26, 2008, 11:05:56 am »

Wasn't sure were to put the question. I guess random fits ok.
I've seen in some blogs race times with Aided and Un-Aided. But I have no clue what the difference is? How were they/you aided?
Just curious ...

Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:26:35 am »

Hi Eric,

"Aided" refers to downhill courses - Sasha's pace tool is great for estimation of how some of these courses in Utah would "translate" to non-aided courses (additionally, his pace tool also estimates how not running at altitude might translate - as many people on the blog live higher than 4500 ft elevation).

Bonnie
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:53:16 pm »

Thanks Bonnie.  Shocked
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:26:40 am »

Aided could also mean wind-aided which doesn't really apply to distance running as much as sprinting, but it's still good to know.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 12:15:01 pm »

It certainly does apply to distance events...for point to point road races. If you run a marathon from Point A to Point B with a 20 mph tailwind the entire way, it is aided!! That is why the IAAF only allows a small percentage of separation for the start/finish line in order for a course to be world record eligible.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:21:30 pm »

Life is so much better when explained!

Thanks all!

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:52:35 pm »

Clyde and everybody else making requests:

Everything you want and more can be accomplished if you select the appropriate options in the filter menu. It takes 3 seconds.  Post on the support forum if you cannot figure out how to use the filter.

I do expect the users of the blog to put in a little bit of effort to acquire basic levels of computer literacy and to engage their minds. That is how I am able to keep it free or have it at all for that matter since even if I charged I still would not be able to make ends meet. The most expensive part of developing software is designing/implementing a fancy user interface for the people that will not take 10 minutes to learn a simplified version.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: