Fast Running Blog
May 02, 2024, 03:28:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Annual credit card fees for those who pay in full each month  (Read 5816 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« on: October 22, 2009, 07:37:27 pm »

My Bank of America credit card may now come with an annual fee.  I guess it's not enough for them to charge the vendors 1-3% of my purchases.  They need more money to pay some seriously huge bonuses.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/credit/2009-10-13-bank-of-america-rewards-card-charges_N.htm?obref=obinsite

So does anyone have a credit card they suggest I switch to?  I have a debit card, but I think a credit card is a good way to rack up cash back (right now I get 1% back and pay no fees) and maintain a good credit history.

We could do a Costco-AMEX but Amex isn't accepted everywhere.  I guess I could just use my debit card where Amex isn't accepted.  But it'd be annoying/embarrassing to be told by some vendors it is not accepted if I whip out my Amex card without thinking.

Any other suggestions?
Traci
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:35:03 am »

We love American Express. They go the extra mile whenever any problem arises. It is a pain that some places don't take AmEx, but I think it is completely worth it. AmEx still treats their customers as valuable assets, rather than a pain in their side (like so many other companies do thise days).
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:12:15 am »

I have a Citibank Dividend card- no fee, cash back.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:55:51 am »

From what I've read, there are many debit cards now that are starting to use some sort of  rewards system. You may want to look into that.
Blaine Hawkes
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:19:08 am »

Chase does a rewards card. You do have to pay an annual fee to get it tough. I think it is $25. It also used to be that some places (car rentals, airlines) wouldn't take a debit card, but that is changing as visa and mastercard have pushed their debit cards more and more.
Matt Konold
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40:26 am »

I have a Chase rewards (mastercard) with no annual fee.  1% cash back (redeemed in $50 chunks).  It used to give 3% on gas too until they cut that. 

Here's a good one as well:  http://www.chasefreedomnow.com/ , 1% back on everything, 3% back on rotating categories (gas, supermarket, etc.), no annual fee, and $50 for signing up. 

I'm like you Michelle, and would rather not get an AMEX card.  For people who do, there is a Fidelity card that gives you 2% back on everything in the form of a deposit to a retirement account (so, basically 0% after the next market crash!!).  No annual fee on it, but you do have to have a Fidelity account. 
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 10:01:47 pm »

I too like Jon have the Citibank DIVIDEND card (a Visa), and haven't had any problems. Have used it for over a year now and have got over 180 bucks back in cash! Which means that Citibank has paid for 3-4 people to eat at my wedding next year! Woohoo!
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 10:27:24 am »

If you fed people McDonalds it would be more like 30 people if you do value meals or 45 if you let them choose 4 things off the dollar menu  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: