Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 07:37:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do not wear iPOD while running!  (Read 8349 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 11:13:45 am »

One more case in Sandy.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7853852
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 11:29:55 am »

Moreover, this is the primary reason to wear a RoadID.

http://roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 12:29:38 pm »

That's horrible!! I run by there often (and was considering to run by there this morning). It's a quiet intersection. I can't imagine how someone could be going fast enough (on a turn especially) to hit her hard enough that she flew 30 feet in the air. Very sad.
Carolyn Herlin
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 01:26:49 pm »

Regarding today's story of the jogger who was hit by a car in Sandy, it sounds like darkness was the key issue. I run early in the morning when it's dark, but I wear a reflective vest and a headlamp, as much to be seen as to see. I see lots of other runners while I'm out and they never are wearing these things. I may look like a dork, but I don't care. This is something to think about in addition to the Road ID.
esanders64
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 02:37:29 pm »

Very sad situation.  That intersection is less than a mile from my house and it's where I usually begin and end my hill repeats.  I echo the other comments about it usually being a quiet area.

In addition to the previous good suggestions about wearing a RoadID, reflective vest / headlamp, please also remember to be cautious at intersections.  There are obvious dangers about crossing against the light, as oncoming drivers have the right of way and may not see you until the last amount.  It can be even more dangerous in the low light of early morning and evening.  Remember what we all learned at a young age - look both ways and only cross when the intersection is clear.  Think of the 30 seconds you spend at the light as a rest period.

Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:39 pm »

It's horrible that someone had to die to bring this to our attention. This is something that drives me nuts when I see it happening. I remember in the Strider's 10-miler being told by the police officer that we should run with traffic. I remember yelling back for her to learn the laws she was there to enforce. My dad was a cop in a Chicago suburb and always told me the LAW was to run against traffic. I tried looking for the UT State law and came across the following flyer.
http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/transportation/Pedestrian/pdf/PedestrianLawsBrochure11_05.pdf
It states that we should be on the sidewalk but if in the street we should go against traffic... I think that Andy Browning's point about running against traffic is the best. Also, I've noticed I am 100X more likely to have things yelled at me if I'm running with traffic than against traffic. Finally, I know of at least three different women in three different states that made the mistake of running with traffic with headphones on and had a car pull up behind them, the passenger reach out the window, and grab them as they drove off...
RUN AGAINST TRAFFIC SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT IS COMING! DO NOT TRUST DRIVERS!!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: