Fast Running Blog
May 04, 2024, 02:25:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stress fractures  (Read 27965 times)
Becky1
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 11:11:01 am »

Having had two tibia stress fractures, I would disagree completely with being able to run on it.  The first one was diagnosed by Dr. Toronto and he said I could keep running and I did.  I ran just as was prescribed/allowed.  He even let me run the Des News Marathon on it.  Result, in the end I had to take about 6 months completely off running.  By continuing to run, I could never run further or train harder and prolonged the recover.

With the second stress fracture, I took off 4 weeks and cross trained.  Then I proceeded to do a run/walk regimine, run alternate days, etc and was able to run the New York City Marathon 2 months later on my previous base.  No issues at all.

I think its better to bite the bullet and take the 4-6 weeks off and be done with the healing.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 06:53:04 am »

I agree with Becky1.  Although it may seem a little premature to post my update because I have only run 1 mile since being cleared, I am completely pain free after 5 weeks of deep water pool running and swimming(and one week of elliptical before the doc told me no weightbearing).  I felt absolutely nothing during my run at the fracture sites.  If you are suspicious, stop running and get a bone scan, then take the 4-6 weeks off and be done with it. 
Nate Page
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »

I had a right femoral sfx (midway between knee and hip) that I got while training for a half.  I figured it was too much intensity.  It started about 4-6 weeks out from the race.  I tried to take time off (couple days), ice, and stretch but nothing really improved the pain development.  I cut back on training and followed a taper and raced the half hard (1:23).  It started as a sore dull ache at the site of the fx.  It really just increased in intensity during my training but it never hurt while I ran and never became sharp pain.  It hurt right after running (to the point of limping) and in the morning.  The doctor said it is common for runners to not feel pain at the area while running due to shutting it out psychologically.   After my race I got it diagnosed (bone scan and MRI) and cycled for the next 6 weeks.  My only training limitation was I could not do things that make the area hurt.  After the 6 weeks I started with 1/2m 3x a week and built back up with no ill effects. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:44:57 pm by Nate Page » Logged
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 05:38:15 pm »

As an update, still no problems after two month build up back to ~60 miles a week.  At this point after the injury I feel like I will be entirely back to my former fitness level before summer is over.  So....to anyone with stress fractures I would say take the time off, come back slow, and it's all gravy.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: