Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 01:33:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training Pace for BQ  (Read 10245 times)
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 04:44:46 pm »

Johnathan - I don't think I've ever done more than 40-45 miles per week training for my previous 2 marathons and definitely never more than 5 days per week. Running 6 days per week and increasing my base mileage has made a huge difference! I've decided not to do any serious speedwork unless my pace stops improving from what I'm currently doing which seems unlikely in the next 5 weeks. It might seem silly, but the closer I get to race day the more I worry about injury and I've invested too much at this point to take any chances with that. You seriously think I could pull off a 3:00? I'm thinking about maybe 3:10 and just that is a big enough difference from 3:20 that it would require committing to a much faster pace than 7:38 from the start.

Jeff - No offense taken Smiley I appreciate any and all feedback. My ego is not attached to my running. I don't even really consider myself a "runner". I just like to run and I want to do it better. That picture was taken at the 2005 Sound to Narrows 12k finish line in Tacoma. I finished in 1:00:26 and just missed my goal of 0:59:59. Even though I missed my goal, I still love that picture. I think it captures how I feel about running. I have another picture from the Portland Marathon finish line where my arms are in the the exact same position, my left thumb is even sticking up Smiley I will pay close attention to my arm movement on my next run. Little things do make a difference. Thanks for pointing that out.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:53:51 pm by Mike Davis » Logged

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 05:51:50 pm »

Mike,

I've been following your progression.  It's very similiar to what I did last summer/fall in which I went from a 4:12 marathon to a 3:10.  Personally, my goal was to BQ and I went out with a 3:10-12 pace in mind.  I requested advice on the "training review" and Sasha thought I had a 3:10 in me.  On race day the taper made my legs feel awesome, yet I held back throughout the race not wanting to spoil a BQ.  I was a little spooked at mile 20 because I felt completely fine...was I going to hit a wall at mile 21? 22? 24?  The 3:10 pacer had a group that was beginning to fall apart and tried to latch on to me...I said, "no way! I'm just going for 3:15...not going to ruin things now!"  Stopped completely at the 20 mile station, took a gu and washed it down with 2 gatorades...my slowest mile on the entire run (8ish).  Ran very cautiously until mile 25 where I decided I was going to be ok.  Began to kick it in and actually ran my only sub-7minute mile, passing the 3:10 pace group (down from like 25 to 3-4 guys) and finishing in 3:10:30.  Could I have run any faster?  Quite possibly a 3:07 or 3:08.  But for me, just thrilled to get the BQ.  BTW- in Boston decided to shoot for sub-3 and crashed my way to a 3:13.  Regardless of strategy, I think you will hit your BQ.  It's up to you to figure out whether you want the comfortable or potentially painful route. 
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 06:58:36 pm »

Dave - Thanks for your input. Your blog has been a big inspiration for me. I started out thinking that a BQ would be a longshot at best for me, but I trained for it like I had it in me. Seeing your progress in particular gave me hope. Now I'm seeing a major return on my investment, and knowing that I will probably never have the opportunity to train at this volume again I'm tempted to really go for it. I value the support and advice I've received from everyone here over the past few months(although I haven't followed all of it) and I'm trying to temper my selfish temptation with some more of that advice.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 07:49:21 pm »

Mike- I do think you have a sub-3 in you.  Can't guarantee that it will be this marathon, though- it might have to be one of those magical days.  Shooting for 3:10 sounds very good- don't go out to fast, just 3:10 pace the whole way.  If you hit mile 22 or so and feel good, pick it up and try to improve your time.

By the way, don't try to temper your "selfish temptation"- we all want to race to the best of our ability.  It's called fulfilling your potential, not being selfish.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: