Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 02:40:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training Review Request from HammerinHank  (Read 3676 times)
Hank Donigan
Lurker

« on: August 02, 2008, 10:58:32 am »

Sasha and All,

I have been faithfully logging and blogging for the last month and I've really enjoyed it.  My blog should have enough info for you to begin helping me.  My primary goal is to qualify for Boston at the Marine Corps Marathon in October, run the St. Jude Marathon 5 weeks later and then go to Boston in April 09... my home town.  My long term goal is to run 6 - 8 marathons or ultras a year while staying injury free.  In all the years I've been running, I have been self coached and that's just not worked well.  You folks can really be a big help to allow me to reach my full potential.  I have also started doing a Tuesday track workout with the San Diego Track Club, which seems to be very well coached.  I've never been able to do speed work on my own without injuring myself or over training. I have lost 23 pounds since March 1st and feel great but I still have some mild plantars fasciitis. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to help a fellow runner!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:08:07 am »

Your training has been reasonable. I would make a couple of changes though. Do not run run less than 8 miles in one run. Make it as slow as you need to to make it work. Speedwork at this point is unnecessary. It would only make you fatigued to run the mileage, will increase a chance of injury, and will not provide much fitness gains in return compared to aerobic conditioning. Your long run needs to be a bit shorter - 16-18 miles. Also add some races, but do not taper for them.
Hank Donigan
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:00:16 pm »

Thank you Sasha.  This is very helpful.  Aside from a minimum of 8 miles/day, what do you think my goal weekly mileage should be? 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:52:44 pm »

Whatever you can handle. At first err on the side of caution. 8x5+16= 56. If that feels good, start increasing in proportion. The more eventually the better, but only if you do not get injured or overtrain. Based on your training it does look like 8 a day at an easy pace is fairly safe for you, so that is why I suggested it. But always listen to your body. My brain does not have nerves that go to your muscles, I could easily be wrong.
Hank Donigan
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:01:49 pm »

Sasha,

Another 6 weeks have gone by.  I haven't been completely successful in doing a minimum of 8 miles in a workout, although I think it is excellent advice.  On some days, I end up doing two-a-days with total mileage exceeding 8.  I have cut back the time spent in the gym and added more time on the road. Anyway, I hit a peak about 3 weeks ago and had to back off and regroup a little.  Currently, I haven't been able to get enough sleep and I have put on about 5 pounds. I ran a hard half marathon Saturday on a hilly dirt course.  I plan to run another flat half marathon 2 weeks before the Marine Corps Marathon.  Can you give me another review and some candid feedback.

Thanks for your support!

Hammerin Hank
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:51:46 pm »

The training overall looks good. Some thoughts:

* Do not rest before your long run. Have your rest day after the long run, that is when you need it. The day after a full day of rest should be an easy day.

* What are your recent/all-time PR's in the 5 K, 10 K, half, and the marathon? If your 5 K predicts a much faster time in the longer races (very common case), replace short track intervals with 5-7 mile tempo runs.

* Make a more thorough effort to improve your diet. Unless you have not eaten for 24 hours or something crazy like that it is better to eat nothing than to eat junk.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: