Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 03:30:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How's my training?  (Read 3534 times)
Thatcher
Lurker

« on: June 13, 2008, 06:43:56 pm »

I've been posting since about December, but just recently made my blog public. I've never run a lot of mileage, but I'm going to work up to 60 something miles a week this summer. I'm going to BYU in the fall, and I will be trying to walk on the team. I was wondering if my training is going well, and if my goal for 60 miles a week is a good goal? Should I do anything different?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:40:16 pm »

Thatcher

I looked through your blog and have a few comments.  Some are based on my own experience of the transition from HS to collegiate running.

If you are trying to walk on the BYU team, you will have to put in a lot of work.  You seem to have pretty good speed, so that should help you.  I would say your goal of 60 mpw is not enough, though.  I remember the jump from HS to collegiate was quite a shock, where the easiest days in college were at least 8 miles and the longest days would be 15-20 miles.  The competition is brutal.  To prepare, I would ramp up your miles as fast as is reasonable and be very consistent all summer.  60 mpw is a minimum, 80 would be great if you can (of course, you don't want to get injured so you have to be smart about this).  I don't know your summer schedule, but if you can run twice a day, it is a great way to add miles without all the wear of forcing longer runs.  Of course, build up at a reasonable pace.

In addition, I notice that you often fall into a trap most HS runners and some college runners make- your easy days are not easy enough, generally in terms of running too fast.  Make your hard days harder and your easy days easier/slower.  Even 7:30-8:30/mile is fine.  For most of the summer, I would suggest focusing on just miles, with minimal or no track workouts.  You should still do the occasional fartlek or moderate tempo as part of some of your runs, but mileage will help you the most.  Otherwise, the length of the college runs will wear you down enough that you will be too tired to show any speed.

Other than that, eat well and sleep enough.  Work hard, be diligent, and you can meet your goals.  You may want to talk to MichelleL, too- she tried out for BYU a few times and was finally able to walk on.

We'll see what other people say, but those are my views.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 04:19:24 pm »

Thatcher - I agree with Jon.

When you are in Provo, come run with us. Call me 801-788-4608 to arrange the time and get directions.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »

Hi-Yeah, so I have looked at your blog, and it looks like you ran 50 miles last week, and have been in the 20's-30's for several weeks before that.
When I tried out for BYU my freshman year I didn't make it the first time because I didn't want it bad enough the summer before I went.  I didn't put in the consistent training.  I see that this is likely going to be your biggest challenge too.  It's hard to put in the runs every day, and to get the proper sleep, but that consistency will be your key. 
I would run 8 miles every day.  I see several days where you wrote that you were tired so you did 5 or 4 miles.  If you are tired, then run 8 miles at 8 minute pace.  If you feel good, do some strides, fartlek, or tempo runs, but only 2 hard workouts a week (strides don't count they can be done any day).   I would increase your mileage smartly, and above 60 miles a week if your body can handle it.  I would work on this base for four weeks then start more speed work.
I would find out what the try out workout is for the team and do that workout or workouts that will help you do that workout well throughout the summer (starting mid July or so).  For the ladies, it used to be 3x1 mile repeats on the track, at 6 minute pace.  From what I hear now, to get on the ladies team its more like 5:45.  What I wasn't ready for in that try out was that the rest between the intervals was at a 800 rest pace for the lead ladies, so I would want to slow jog 800, but they finished 15-30 seconds ahead of me and are already doing their slow jog, which was much faster than my slow jog. 
If the men's tryout is mile repeats, then I would do mile repeats about every 3 weeks, and do 800's, and 400's and 1200's in between, but only one track workout a week.  Then do a tempo, fartlek or race on the road.  Make sure your rests are not too slow.  If you can't find running partners who can do the hard workouts with you, try to find someone who can do every other interval with you (they get more rest, and thus can help push you).
My BYU experience was wonderful and I wish I could have made the team the first time around.  I know I would have if I had slept enough the summer beforehand and had put in the consistent training. 
Thatcher
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:08:09 pm »

Thanks for the words of advice from everyone. Generally, my mileage has been higher than 20-30, I just took it easy the past couple weeks after my track season ended. Also, I backed off before region and state. I probably averaged around 40 miles a week during track season.

From what I heard from the coach, there is no specific workout to get on the team. I will just go to practice for a couple of weeks after school starts, and if it looks like I can push the other new guys on the team, then I could make it. He said that other years I might have had a guaranteed spot, but he has already signed a lot of people this year. There is also a race the first week of school, so he said to come race-ready.

Sasha, I don't know if I will be in Provo this summer, but maybe I can run with you the week before school starts.
Tyler
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:51:57 am »

Thatcher, I'm trying out for the team this season as well -- I also tried out as a freshman, and here are some thoughts.

High school workouts typically consist of short reps and low mileage. The first workout I did with BYU was 2 x 15 minute tempo runs, the next week was 3 x 2 mile repeats with 5 minute rests. I didn't have the aerobic base to handle it and my performance was sub-par, to say the least.

There are two races that serve as BYU's tryouts, a road 5k and the BYU Classic, a 4-mile golf course loop. You have better speed than I had which is a big plus, but to be really competitive, working on that aerobic base will be key like the others have mentioned. I saw huge improvements this last season by upping the mileage to about 70-75 mpw, and doing 4-5 mile tempo runs at 20-25 seconds slower than 5k pace.

Most of all, just enjoy it. I'd bet you'll make the team if you work hard, but if not this year, you've got other seasons. I've only got a year left at BYU, and I'm still loving the training and competing. I've got a pretty slim chance of making the team, but it's been a fun road. Just enjoy yourself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: