Fast Running Blog
May 13, 2024, 11:02:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper Tapering  (Read 6975 times)
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« on: September 20, 2007, 04:59:50 pm »

Many people are confused as to what is the best way to taper for a key race.  Many people under-taper but I feel the majority of runners over-taper (especially beginners) when a marathon is approaching.  I would love to see some feedback from everyone with their opinions of the optimum taper.  I know is very subjective and different to every runner (as a result of training, base, and mileage) but with St. George fast approaching many people could benefit.
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:49:36 pm »

My thoughts are a high mileage runner needs more of a taper than a low mileage runner. For a high mileage runner I think a three week taper is ideal but when I say taper it is relative as the mileage comes back but the intensity goes up a little especially during the first week of the taper. For example lets use a nice round number of 100 miles a week as the peak mileage during ones training. With that in mind a taper would look like this: 100 miles 4th week out ending with a 20-22 mile long run three weeks from the marathon day; 80 miles during third week out ending with a 16-17 mile long run two weeks from marathon day; 60 miles during the second week out with a 12-13 miler one week from race day; end with about 30-35 miles in the five days prior to the marathon. Again, the focus is reducing volume but not intensity until the last week or so. In fact three weeks out the intensity actually goes up a little then backs off from there. I could be more specific but this is the general idea that I believe in for higher mileage runners.

For low mileage runners I think it is less. For example if you are running 60 miles a week at your peak then taper would be: 54 miles, 45 miles and then 20 miles in the last 5 days.

Any other thoughts?
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:53:51 pm »

I can give my thoughts from the beginner perspective, as I coach a newbie group (SaltLakeFit) and we have about 50 new marathoners going down to St. George this year. You are correct that a high-mileage runner needs more time to taper than a low-mileage runner. Our runners are averaging about 30 miles a week, and they only really need 2 weeks for tapering. In fact, for the TOU runners this year, we did our longest run of 21 miles 2 weeks before the marathon (instead of 3).

One school of thought that works for me- think of tapering in terms of 3 variables: frequency, intensity, and distance. The intensity part of the equation is the least important to taper for me, while frequency (number of running days per week) is somewhat important to cut back on and distance is the most important. I think I got that right. Anyway, just my 2c.

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 07:55:04 pm »

I agree with Ted on the tapering. I think he is our resident taper expert. I am following his program for the last 3 week before St. George.
In my opinion, somebody running 30 miles a week should not taper at all, he's been tapering all year long already. There is very little to gain in the way of muscle rebuilding and glycogen storage compared to the amount of fitness that will be lost by cutting down the mileage even further.
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:57:47 pm »

Ok, I found this article as well.

http://dailycamera.com/news/2007/sep/18/examining-the-tales-of-tapering/
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:37:14 pm »

I also agree with Ted, though I think the second week could be a bit higher if desired and if many of the runs are two-per-days.  Maybe as high as 70-75 miles.  But 60 is fine, too.  A lot depends how you feel plus injuries.  I was planning to do a 3 week taper with mileage of 80, 70, 35, but some injuries forced me to more like 66, 48, 31.  Legs still felt fresh, but I may have lost a bit of fitness by the end.  Not a lot, but a hair.
Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:43:57 pm »

Cody, thanks for introducing this topic. Tapering is often a scary thing to do after all the training people conduct. I think that newbies definitely need to taper. Think about your typical charity runner: They are often "couch potato to marathoner" in four months. By the time they get to the three weeks before a marathon their bodies are often quite inflamed and torn up and need to taper to recover enough to even finish the marathon. But don't get me started on that (ok, I will get started and maybe past a separate discussion about it. I wonder about the long-term effects of those programs. Enough said). Then there is the folks who run 40 to 50 miles per week who actually might need less of a taper than the newbies because they have more of a base (adaptation) and are not torn up as much. Higher mileage folks (70+ miles per week) are even more adapted to running that mileage and subsequently need a taper that might seem extremely high in mileage and intensity to the mortals, but it is relative and is definitely a taper for them. I do believe the intensity and turn-over of the legs is one of the most important aspects of a taper that people are often scared to do. As Ted said, the intensity actually goes up as the mileage gradually comes down.
I really notice my body repairing itself and a gain of fitness during the first two weeks of my three week taper. I always celebrate my taper. It is fun to see what our amazing bodies do!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 07:22:16 am »

My thoughts on tapering are nearly identical to Ted's. I will follow the Ted program as well. I have been burned in the past by tapering too much, and I think many marathon programs you see out there taper too much, especially for lower-mileage runners.
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 08:28:35 am »

Good Stuff!  I think I am on track to be close to Ted's plan.  Ted I think you are now known as the Taper Guru.
Thanks for the thoughts/tips guys!
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:48:22 am »

I agree with Ted except the part about 60 miles per week being low mileage.  I typically cut the mileage back 80% each week with the last week being 25-30 miles before the marathon.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:32:02 am »

I agree with Ted except the part about 60 miles per week being low mileage.  I typically cut the mileage back 80% each week with the last week being 25-30 miles before the marathon.

Everything is relative. Peter Gilmore would say that 100 mpw is low mileage!
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 04:27:57 pm »

My theory with tapering is on how you feel three weeks out from the Marathon.  If you feel you can push two more hard weeks maybe reducing mileage by 10% but not the intensity, and have a one week taper.  Or if your body is saying slow down!... and your over-training, start your taper with three weeks left.  I'm no expert just my thoughts.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 08:51:53 am »

Too late for those of us running St. George, but here's a good article with thoughts on tapering by Gilmore and Sell.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--12123-0,00.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: