Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 06:28:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help!  (Read 4124 times)
ktjo
Lurker

« on: October 03, 2007, 02:03:16 pm »

I have been working out off and on for about three years now. I started out a very uncomfortable 178. I am down to 145 but I have been there for about a year now. I have 7 kids because I do foster care and so I get into a good workout groove then something happens and I go a month or two with out doing anything then I start back over. It is a vicious cycle. I have ran a coupe of 5ks. 33 minutes.
I feel like I am a half way there person all the time. I would like to say I am a runner and to look like one and to feel good saying it.  What I would love to do is to run a marathon. I have a daughter who has had 23 brain surgeries(SO I am a stress eater) and if she can pull through that I should be able to run a marathon.     
So I have started back to the gym. Where do I go from here? 
I have never lost a pound on any diet but low carb so I am back on that as well. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 05:49:22 pm »

The best way to get help around here is make your training public. Get a blog set up, and start posting your workouts. Some general principles apply to everybody, but there are a lot of individual variations. Once we can see the details of what you are doing, we can give you very specific help.

Some general suggestions:

Train 6 days a week, do not skip for absolutely any reason.
Unless there are days you cannot run at all, and have to use some exercise equipment you do not own, gym membership is probably a waste of money. If you want to run well outdoors, you need to train outdoors. Make a resolution to train in any weather and stick to it.
Keep your daily mileage and speed sufficiently low that you can do the same the next day comfortably.
Do not go more than 3 times your average daily mileage in any run.
Be consistent, learn the meaning of NO, eliminate BUT from your spoken language and thought. No skipping means no, no excuses, none. That is when having your training public helps. You will not get away with a lame excuse.
Do not get too excited about diets. Just eat healthy. If you think it is bad, do not eat it. Do not worry about fats/carbs/protein. Eat natural foods, stay away from junk.
Be patient - avoid get fit quick programs that promise to take a couch potato to running a marathon in a short amount of time. They would be truthful if they replaced "running" with "surviving with a high probability of injury". Take your time to get fit, then race once you are ready. Race a 5 K, go under 30, then race a 10 K, go under 1 hour, then race 1/2 marathon, go under 2 hours, then start planning for your marathon. It is much more pleasant to do it in 4 hours and feel good than survive it in 6.

Good luck in your training. I think you can definitely do it if you prepare thoroughly.
Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:45:06 pm »

Congratulations on your weight loss! Print Sasha's suggestions and read them when you feel like you can't/won't do it. The greatest gift you can give your kids is your healthy and the healthy mind that you get when your run and workout consistently. Please, please set up a blog and let us encourage you. I can tell you from training by myself this summer, this blog and a challenge I had with a friend definitely got me outside running many days. I knew I could not write that I did nothing. I got up at 4 some mornings to put in the miles. That being said, I HAVE let life get in the way of some of my running, and I am still working on that. This community will help you. Give yourself a chance. Be as compassionate with yourself as you are with your kids.
Michael
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:12:30 pm »

Congrats on your weight loss and goal to run more. Im a stress eater too at times, but slowly with effort Im changing that to at least healthier when that occurs and less junk and sweets. Running is certainly a stress reliever as well as other stuff like walking and relaxation. Hey how about running some with those kids at the park - Sasha and his wife (fastrunning Mommy) are great examples of that. They have 5 kids and Fastrunning Mommy works at being dedicated and seems to run about 5 miles a day. I run with my kid too and try to run when he has a practice or other activity even if it is just a little. Sasha has great ideas of finding time for running like going to the store, lunch hour etc. good luck with your pursuit of running. You can do it.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:34:20 pm »

The best way to stick to a running program is to find a training partner that is depending on you to be there.  I to have a daughter that has been through a lot of sugeries,  it's hard to train during those times. But, I have learned if I come home from the hospital, sleep in my own bed at night, and run in the morning before going back to the hospital I do better.  I would also start a blog it does help and gives you encouragement.  Good Luck in everything.  You defanitly have a full plate, but remeber everyone likes a happy mom.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:00:42 am »

One other word here- "running" a marathon is a good accomplishment, but being fit and consistent is an even bigger and better accomplishment. I coach a marathon training group, and unfortunately over half of our runners start the program just to survive. They aren't consistent in their eating or training habits, and usually end up getting hurt and frustrated. I believe the media is to blame for this by taking the distance of a marathon and blowing it up to be one of life's one-time accomplishments that anyone can suffer through.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is a guy named "Dan" that rode down with me to the St George Marathon this year. Dan keeps himself fit, and has run consistently for 3 or 4 years. This was his first marathon. Not knowing what to expect, he went out conservatively and felt good. He ended up running the second half 20 minutes faster than the first half- finishing with a time of 3:53. Not only is that a great accomplishment, but a positive experience as well. He is already talking about improving for his next marathon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: