Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 05:57:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: St. George Weather forecast  (Read 5834 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: September 30, 2007, 01:48:37 pm »

I know we're still a ways out, but I'm really liking what I see in the 7-day forecast!

St. George
Sat, Oct 6
Sunny
74°/48°    

Central
Sat, Oct 6
Sunny
64°/41°

How sweet would it be if that held up?
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 03:26:54 pm »

This is looking great, just keep our fingers crossed!
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 05:31:47 pm »

I agree, I was looking at Accuweather and weather.com, and both were forecasting about the same thing.  Hopefully this means that for those of us finishing an hour after the winner, the temperature will still be in the 60's.  This would be absolutely perfect to me.  I have been used to running in the 80's and 70's all summer, and have finally had some weather in the 60's this last week in the early morning, and it feels absolutely divine.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 07:29:33 pm »

How much time should we take off the forecasted St. George temperature for a starting temperature at the starting line?  Tom reminded me on Saturday that the elevation is much higher at the start so we should expect a starting temperature lower than the St. George temperature, but by about how much?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 07:40:14 pm »

How much time should we take off the forecasted St. George temperature for a starting temperature at the starting line?  Tom reminded me on Saturday that the elevation is much higher at the start so we should expect a starting temperature lower than the St. George temperature, but by about how much?

The start line is in Central. See first post for Central's forecast. In general, 5 degrees per 1000 feet is a good rule of thumb for any given location.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:26:44 pm »

The most recent weather report is also predicting wind ~15 mph "from the north" in both St. George and Central on raceday. I think wind predictions are usually more "off" than temperature predictions, but a tailwind along with these cool temps would be amazing. It seems that headwinds are more common than tailwinds at St. George though. Is there any precedent of a tailwind in previous years?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:57:34 pm »

I've run St. George 6 times, the only experience with headwind was the first 5 miles in '98, but it was not bad at all, I felt nothing drafting off just one guy (Ron Greenwood, incidentally). Never felt a strong tailwind, but the rule of thumb is that if you feel no headwind, there is usually a small tailwind because the air is rarely still, and you will feel even a smallest wind in any adverse direction.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 01:52:56 pm »

I don't know what this weekend will bring, but this last Saturday there was a slight headwind, not as bad as two weeks ago when we did 20 miles on the course.  A tailwind would be nice and could very well be possible.  I think we've had more wind this year, than in the past I've just gotten used to it, living over in the Hurricane Valley the wind is always blowing.  I also think it might be a little colder this year at the start, but that is just my feeling.  Last Saturday morning the temperatures felt great and we started at about 6:30 on the course near Snow Canyon State Park entrance, above Winchester Hills.
jtshad

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 09:05:29 am »

Well, as of this morning, the prediction is still rather good, but now with a wind out of the north at up to 20 mph.  So, the possibility of a good tailwind!
James Winzenz

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 01:30:23 pm »

Here is the most recent prediction from weather.com for St. George on Saturday morning:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/hourbyhour/USUT0222?begHour=1&begDay=279

Looking really good!  I am glad I decided to wear my cap, and may end up wearing gloves for the entire race - depends on how my hands feel.
Mike Kirk
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:38 pm »

That means it should be under 40 F at the start.  Bring extra wood for the fires!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: