Fast Running Blog
May 21, 2024, 03:36:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions for the first marathon  (Read 2534 times)
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« on: September 28, 2008, 07:13:57 am »

I am sure that there are plenty of us that are running in our first marathon on saturday. I would be interested in what everybody's suggestions are for the last week before a marathon. I am sure that everyone has their own ideas and concepts that work for them so I would be interested in as many comments as possible so that I can come up with my own.
The things that I am looking for is everything from training, nutrition, carb loading to night before and morning of the marathon.
Thanks so much for all the help that the blog has been for me in training this summer. I look forward to meeting some of you on friday night.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:43:17 am »

I think you should stick with what you normally do and have practiced.  So if you run everyday then run everyday just cut the miles alot.  If you run the day before a race do so just run 2-3 miles.  Eat the same maybe just add in some extra good carbs.  But don't eat more than you normally would.  Make sure you are drinking and replacing elctrolytes, but don't over drink (that can be just as dangerouts).   Do the same thing you would do before any other race.  Get up and eat about 2-3 hours before the race.  Eat and drink what you normally would eat before a long run.  I would just go to bed when you normally do and don't expect to sleep that much, nobody does.  Just go for the experience and have a good time, start easy and finish strong.  Good luck!!!
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:22:31 pm »

Good thread!  I am interested in knowing who is running their first marathon at St. George this weekend.  I am on the list. 
The thing that I have heard the most is to NOT GO OUT TOO FAST!  Be more conservative the first half and then have a nice negative split.  I think an important thing to do is to run our own race and not get caught up in the excitement of the people around us.  Good luck to everyone!  I think there is something special about running that first marathon!  It's fun to think that we are embarking on something that we have never done before! 

(I tried the moving script button.   I wonder if it worked.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: