Fast Running Blog
May 17, 2024, 06:47:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any tips for running in the rain?  (Read 2593 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: September 26, 2008, 11:10:31 am »

I have a half-marathon scheduled for tomorrow morning.  The forecast is 58 degrees with potentially heavy rain.  Any thoughts on appropriate dress or strategies?  I was thinking the less clothing, the better (so as not to get weighed down)- probably something sleeveless.  Also, I plan on wearing a light cap to help with visibility.  Rain really doesn't intimidate me, yet I want to approach tomorrow with a strategy that will still help me to get the most out of this run time wise. 
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:29:05 am »

Liberal quantities of bodyglide or equivalent lubrication on areas prone (and not-so-prone) to chafing!  The rain tends to make clothing heavier and cause more rubbing than normal, as I've discovered in the past to my chagrin.  Watch your feet too....if your socks get wet early, plenty of rubbing and blister potential there.
The cap is a good idea, but around here sunglasses are more useful since usually the stuff is horizontal enough to sneak under the cap.  The annoyance factor between wiping your glasses frequently and blinking repeatedly when the rain hits your eyeball is huge.
Pick a shirt that least retains water.....some tech shirts are good at pulling it off your skin but tend to trap it for evaporation.  Others seem to better shed the water so they don't get as heavy.  I haven't ever bothered to figure out which is which unfortunately, so it's always a surprise for me still.  A singlet would probably be about the best since you get minimal water trapping potential, as long as you won't freeze (which it sounds like you won't).
Good luck!
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:34:41 pm »

Bring 2 pair of shoes and socks.  Keep your racing pair in your car or in a plastic bag.  After your warm-up and general milling around waiting for the start, change into the dry stuff.  That way you limit some of the excess water weight.

And also have fun.  A lot of people do not want to get wet for some reason.  So use that to your advantage.  You know you will be soaked so just go with it.

dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 12:50:41 pm »

Thanks guys, your insights were helpful.  It didn't end up being a real downpour, yet it was definitely wet. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: