Fast Running Blog
May 20, 2024, 09:52:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: more Devine problems  (Read 14096 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 12:31:05 pm »

Only problem I see is that you wouldn't have much prize money available unless you get some big corporate sponsor to fork over the dough.  That is where the masses of thousands of normal runners come in useful in most races- they help provide the prize money for the fast few.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 12:44:30 pm »

Well yeah, it would definitely need some sort of sponsor and/or donor. Ideally entry fees could cover the sparse supplies and logistical items, and sponsor(s) would cover prizes, lodging, and other amenities.

Not that I have any idea of what I'm talking about.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 01:05:37 pm »

Only problem I see is that you wouldn't have much prize money available unless you get some big corporate sponsor to fork over the dough.  That is where the masses of thousands of normal runners come in useful in most races- they help provide the prize money for the fast few.

Thiokol sounds like they might make a good sponsor.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 01:12:36 pm »

Headline on Marathonguide.com today:

Devine Racing Dismantles - Sells 2 Properties
Los Angeles Marathon and Chicago Half Marathon Sold To Pay Debts
In 2005/2006, Devine Racing was hailed as the most progressive entity in the running industry who would help to propel the sport. Devine created the Salt Lake City Marathon and then followed that up by purchasing the Los Angeles Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, Chicago Half Marathon and the Chicago Big 10K. A marketing and possible future sales agreement with the Toronto Marathon gave the company a foothold in Canada and dozens of other marathons in North America had provided financials to the company in the hope that they might be acquired and join the high-flying company. 2005 saw Devine hire some of the most well-known names in the industry, pledge tens of thousands of dollars to running organizations and invest a reported half million dollars in a website community.

But how quickly the great can fall... By 2007, reports were surfacing that Devine was not paying its vendors or prize money to athletes. The company dismantled its central sales office and top executives began "resigning" for personal and other reasons. Reports in the Las Vegas Review-Journal stated that the city of Las Vegas was giving Devine a June 15th deadline to make good on its financial obligations to that city and local vendors. Last week it was announced that Devine had sold the Chicago Half Marathon to US Road Sports & Entertainment Group - the company that purchased the ING Miami and ING Georgia Marathons. Rumors have swirled for weeks that the Los Angeles Marathon was up for sale - with the list of suitors including Elite Racing, the New York Road Runners and US Road Sports. According to a June 4th article in the Las Vegas Review Journal and June 14th articles in the Los Angeles Times and Las Vegas Review Journal, Devine has agreed to sell the Los Angeles Marathon to an investor group led by David Kingsdale and Russ Pilar. According to the Los Angeles Times, Devine technically owns the "operating rights" for the marathon and any sale will have to be approved by the City which technically owns the race. Chris Devine, the founder of Devine Racing, was quoted as saying: "To own the L.A. Marathon and screw it up is a monumental failure."
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 08:06:09 pm »

Maybe now I can run the Chicago Half Marathon without feeling guilt of giving money to those guys. This is good because the other half marathon in town is sponsored by John Bingham and I also don't like giving my money to people who encourage running as slow as possible.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: