Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 02:54:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running (lots?) with a dog  (Read 3620 times)
Scott Polewach
Lurker

« on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:17 am »

I have a very energetic husky/malumte mix (sled dog) named Basho.

We'd both prefer it if he came on all of my runs when the weather permits (<65 or so).  But his pads get worn down by the pavement way faster than he gets tired out.  I try to trail run when I can.

He probably runs 25-35 of my weekly miles with me. 

Any ideas or tips to run more with him?
If I could let him off leash he could have a more natural gait instead of having to follow me--that's part of the problem.  His leash manners are pretty good at this point so pulling isn't an\ major issue for either of us, unless there is a deer or another dog involved.

Trail running would help some, so I should make an effort to do that more.

I've thought about dog booties.   

Any more ideas?

Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »

I looked at your blog and couldn't tell if you live in the Salt Lake area or not, but Millcreek Canyon is great for dog running, they have off leash days on odd numbered days, so you don't have to worry about the leash thing.  It's the best place I've found to run with my dog off leash.
Scott Polewach
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »

Thanks for the reply!

I actually live in Southwest Virgina.  There are a lot of nice trails here, but they're mostly 'technical,' which is great for some runs.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:42:59 am »

My dog Moxie loves to run with me.  Her longest run to date is 11 miles.  I haven't noticed a real problem with her pads/feet but will watch more closely.

I have heard the booties work ok but can wear down...plus your dog has to agree to wear them!

Trail running would be good and a an option to take Basho off the leash as long as she obeys your commands well to not run off and bother others. 

Good luck with the running with your great partner!
Tina
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »

I've never used it, but I've heard great things about Mushers Secret from other dog owners. http://musherssecret.net/index.html
It might be worth a try.

Scott Polewach
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:47 pm »

Thanks!

I just picked up a tub of the stuff.  Too bad it's been in the 80's here the last few days!  Nice running weather for humans.  Not so much for sled dogs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: