Fast Running Blog
May 08, 2024, 02:07:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would appreciate any imput...  (Read 2873 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: October 04, 2008, 06:07:56 pm »

Well, I've put in the training time and my marathon is just 2 weeks away.  Key aspects of my training schedule have been outlined in yesterday's blog (Friday).  My concern at this stage would be doing a proper taper and choosing a reasonable marathon pace.  My thoughts were one "sharp day" this week with 4-5 mile repeats at 5-10k pace + a slow 10-mile run on the weekend (7 days before the marathon), cutting this week's mileage to 45-50 and then becoming very conservative on the week of the marathon (25-30 before race day?)  Also, in regards to pace, my thoughts are to start at a 7:15-20 pace for the first few miles and then ease into a 7:05-10 pace for the mid-section, and see what I have left at mile 20.  Most of my training/race runs have included hilly terain.  Today I ran 14 miles (continuously w/out a break) at a 7:11 pace which was hilly for the first 8 miles and then flat for the last 4 (I actually ran the final 4 on a h.s. track at a 7:06 pace)  The marathon I will be racing in shows a course map that looks quite flat with a descending finish for the last 4 miles.  I've spoken to other runners from CT who have run in the Bay State Marathon and expressed how much faster the terrain is over there relative to our home territory...All this to say, I'd appreciate any insight or imput in regards to my final preparations.  Most of you look to have run in the St. George Marathon, so I will be patient if it takes a few days to receive any response.  Thanks!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:32:05 pm »

Dave:

I think your plan is good. You have a good shot at 3:10. Do not worry too much about the watch in the race. Instead, keep asking yourself - can I do this for the X miles left to go and keep adjusting the pace accordingly.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:01:26 pm »

Thanks Sasha!  In running both a 20k and a half-marathon last month, my pace was quicker in the 20k (trying to stick with the watch), yet my energy level was tremendously higher at the end of the half-marathon (mostly ran by feel).  Your comments give me the confidence to listen to my internal system vs. sticking to a pre-determined pace. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: