Fast Running Blog
May 08, 2024, 03:55:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Five Weeks To Go  (Read 2896 times)
Harold
Lurker

« on: October 12, 2009, 07:16:06 pm »

I plan to run the Richmond Marathon on November 14th and my goal had been to run a 3:15 but somewhere along the way I started to think maybe a 3:10 was possible.  My training has been going well, I think, but now that the marathon is five weeks away I'm wondering if there are some adjustments I should make to my training while I still have time to make them.  If anyone can offer some helpful tips or criticism I would really appreciate it.  As of right now I'm planning a 20 mile fast finish long run (last half at MP) for this Sunday and another 22-24 mile long steady run on the Sunday after that, otherwise it's going to be much like what I've been doing, with easy days on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.  I tend to do short faster workouts on Tuesdays and slightly longer tempo type workouts on Thursdays.  I've run Richmond before and it's mostly flat with a few gradual inclines in the first 15 miles and then it's flat or slightly downhill. 

Thanks!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55:33 pm »

Your training has been very reasonable. Since you already have a BQ and have nothing to lose I would not be afraid to tuck into the 3:10 pack and sit there until you can't. Either because the pace is too fast or too slow :-)

If there is anything I would do different it would be to run as much mileage as is reasonable in the 7:05 - 7:25 pace zone as possible with a particular focus on 7:15. Learn to relax at it, zone out a bit. Know how it feels, know how to find it after a disruption (water stop, hill, surge). Do not overdo it, though, by running nearly all of your mileage at that pace.
Harold
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:39:56 am »

Thanks for the advice Sasha!  It was very helpful and I will do just as you suggest.  It's always nice to have someone else take a look and spot any opportunities for improvement.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: