Fast Running Blog
May 16, 2024, 01:38:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ogden Marathon Relay  (Read 4458 times)
Tim
Lurker

« on: March 25, 2008, 04:55:04 pm »

My friends from work signed me up to run the first part of the Ogden Marathon Relay (7 mi).  So about 3 weeks ago I started training.  My weekly mileage is only about 10 mi a week.  What is the best way to train and get my mileage up to where I can be able to run the relay in a decent time? 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:33:45 pm »

Make sure to get out 6 days a week. Still run your usual 3-4 miles. If you feel good after a couple of weeks of that, make it 5 miles a day. Keep the pace comfortable and relaxed, do not force it. How long is your leg in the relay?
Tim
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:22:31 pm »

I have the first part which is 7 miles.  I'm hoping to be able to run it at 7 min pace.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:49:06 pm »

I agree with Sasha, of course.  I would work up your miles gradually as well (about 10% a week), and designate one day as your long run day.  It seems 4 miles is the longest you have done in recent history.  If so, then increase that for your weekly long run by .5-1 mile a week, but make your long run nice and easy.  You can do strides on easier runs or the long run, with plenty of rest in between.  From what I remember, the first 7 miles of Ogden is downhill, so some downhill running may help you.  Find a stretch of downhill you can train on once a week, and do strides downhill to get a feel for faster downhill running. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »

You should have no problem sustaining 7:00 pace on that leg if you train consistently between now and then. Familiarize yourself with the Top Ten Excuses for Missing a Run and Top Ten Training Mistakes if you have not already. You can find the links to those at the top of every blog page. Your greatest enemy at this point would be failure to get out consistently.
Tim
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:24:33 pm »

So far I think the biggest thing will be getting out 6 days a week but hopefully I can get it in, I would really like to get back into running again and stick with it.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 07:59:47 pm »

Once you adjust to the 6 days it will becomes automatic, and you will start to desire to run that much.  I would definitely get a couple of 5 mile runs before Ogden, and maybe a couple of the miles at Marathon pace.  But like Sasha said you need to run 6 days a week at least 3 or 4 miles each time.
Tim
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:03:37 pm »

I tried to get in my runs everyday but it seemed like something always came up.  I am really trying hard to get up early in the mornings now to get them in.  2 weeks ago the inside of my right knee started to hurt so I have scalled back the last few weeks but it is still bothering me a litte.  Any ideas?
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:10:12 pm »

You should post the knee problem in our injury section.  Sometimes I get pains when I need new shoes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: