Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 10:41:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to back sub 2:30 by Michael Wardian  (Read 13691 times)
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 02:30:03 pm »

... ultras do not pay nearly as well as marathons do both in terms of money or publicity.

Sasha, I think it's interesting that you see running as a way to pursue money and publicity as "ends" in themselves.  There are much easier ways to make a few bucks and get your name in the paper than grinding out 120 miles a week.  In contrast, many ultra-runners (even those enjoying $ and fame) generally focus more on running as a journey than a way to reach a destination.  Then again, that's what running is about for a lot of people (me included).

While I disagree with your philosophy, I do respect the fact that you are upfront about your objectives. There is no doubt that you set a very high standard for commitment and performance from running.  Essentially, what you are doing is trying to set an example in order to influence the marketplace to make running a more financially rewarding endeavor.  Just don't forget to enjoy the running itself!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:37:38 pm by Chad » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 02:33:05 pm »

Sasha- I agree that it is difficult to support a family and reach your potential in running- that is what myself and 95% of the bloggers realize every day.  Few runners ever reach their real potential, because life, family, money, and injuries get in the way.   We have had this discussion before, too, of WHY people run, on someone's blog.

We are jealous of professional athletes, but we forget that even they are the exception rather than the rule.  There are millions of kids and adults who play basketball, football, soccer, baseball, etc just for fun.  They even pay to be able to play and see it as a hobby.  The number of athletes who get paid for any sport is very low, and most of the athletes who do get paid are actually in the "entertainment business" rather than athletics.  Running is not as entertaining as the "rich" sports, and will never be, so that is why runners will never get the same money.  Only a very, very few elite get paid well for doing something "fun" for a job (such as professional athletes), since there are so many other people who would be willing to do it.  Likewise, runners don't get much much prize money or sponsorships because there are so many other people who would still do it for free or pay to do it (i.e. most runners at races who expect no prize money), so it doesn't make financial sense to pay runners a lot of money.  Which makes me appreciate any sponsorships (FRB/St. George Running Center) even more!

I do wish that more runners could get good sponsorships.  But I am very happy with the revival that running is undergoing right now in the US, though, so will leave it at that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:46:25 pm by Jonathan Allen » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 02:35:49 pm »

That brings to mind the question: why should football and basketball players get paid for that matter? Winning an event (whatever the sport) brings no legitimate value to society. In my opinion, no athlete should be paid anything. Instead, pour our money into teachers, firemen, and cartographers. Athletic development doesn't really matter, especially compared to these other vocations.

They don't get paid because of what they bring to society.  They get paid because they are entertainers.  Entertainers, not athletes.  And I am discovering our society will pay more and more money to be entertained.  But I will refrain from commenting on escapism, etc...
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 02:40:43 pm »

In my opinion, cartographers are way undervalued in our society.  Without cartographers, my ancestors would still be drifting around in little boats off the coast of Wales ...
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 02:48:11 pm »

Without cartographers, my ancestors would still be drifting around in little boats off the coast of Wales ...

If your ancient ancestors were still drifting around in little boats, they would probably be dead by now... Wink
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 02:49:31 pm »

In my opinion, cartographers are way undervalued in our society.  Without cartographers, my ancestors would still be drifting around in little boats off the coast of Wales ...

Not to mention we wouldn't have pretty maps of sports venues.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 02:59:18 pm »

Without cartographers, my ancestors would still be drifting around in little boats off the coast of Wales ...

If your ancient ancestors were still drifting around in little boats, they would probably be dead by now... Wink

My ancestors could beat up your ancestors, so there!
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »

I'm glad I just run for fun. Running a race to try and win money sounds more stressful than trying to hit a time or PR. I get paid with self satisfaction.
adam

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:46 pm »

My ancestors could beat up your ancestors, so there!
[/quote]

Well, my ancestors conquered the known world, discovered america, AND gave you carbo loading! Everything goes back to us Italians!

And money in sports is all about the entertainment value. LeBron's skills and entertainment probably bring in a crowd bigger than the whole Wizards team, and as such, gets paid much more than the usual player. He increases ticket sales, and, if you include the whole market of shoes, clothing, hats, and everything else that can be made off his image and name, he's making alot of money for alot of people, so he gets paid more.

Not even Geb could get that kind of money to everyone. Even El G was unknown to the majority of people when he paced Lance Armstrong for a few miles in the NYC marathon. People were excited to see Lance, not the fastest miler in the world...which is why Nike will now do running commericials with Lance Armstrong, and not Bernard Lagat.

I have noticed that in Europe (for the most part) you will see more commericials and products in local stores with famous runners, cyclers, and other athletes. Some stores I used to go to sold the lastest Adidas, Puma, Fila track kits that were being used by current elite runners. Eurosport tv channel gives play time to almost every sport (even curling) and plays all the major european track meets in full- without cutting to the last two minutes of the men's 5 or 10k.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 11:40:55 am »

Does playing music bring any value? What about painting a picture?

Most developed countries invest into things that do not seem to yield immediate material returns such as art, music and sports. Why? Some will argue just because they can afford it. I would argue the other way around. They are able to prosper economically because they possess a more balanced vision of life. Those things are some of the most distinguishing elements of the human race. They help us hone the qualities that separate us from animals. The more we support this form of development on a personal, community and national level, the less animal-like and more God-like we become. Which in turns gives us power to take care of our material needs with much less effort.
James Winzenz

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 03:06:55 pm »

I have noticed that in Europe (for the most part) you will see more commericials and products in local stores with famous runners, cyclers, and other athletes. Some stores I used to go to sold the lastest Adidas, Puma, Fila track kits that were being used by current elite runners. Eurosport tv channel gives play time to almost every sport (even curling) and plays all the major european track meets in full- without cutting to the last two minutes of the men's 5 or 10k.

In general, Europe has a lot more appreciation for the low-profile sports - running, cycling, speed-skating, swimming, you name it.  Not to mention the almost rabid fanatacism for soccer (football).  Maybe it's because the "American" sports have never really caught on there, so there is much more diversity and more dollars that can be divvied among the "other" sports?  I don't know, but I am grateful that there seems to have been more US coverage of track and field recently and more media attention to running in general than in the past.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:10:37 pm by James Winzenz » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 05:22:40 pm »

I think when the mindset changes, the commercial aspect will take care of itself. If people learn to appreciate one's ability to run fast, a way will be provided for people with talent and desire to dedicate themselves to developing that ability. We do not necessarily need to worry about how. What we need is to change the mindset.

Why is it good to change the mindset? People who appreciate talent and hard work tend to act better in a number of ways. They are more likely to be hard workers themselves. They are more likely to ask themselves what talent they may have that they should develop. They are less likely to be involved in counter-productive and destructive activities. They make the world a better place. Teaching people to appreciate one's ability to run fast is one of the ways we can contribute to reversing the quick fix mindset that is growing in our society.

How can we contribute to the change? I've thought of the following:

a) Set an example. Work hard. Dig deep within yourself.

b) Open your mouth. When you have a chance tell your friends and family members that you run and why.

c) Encourage others to exercise and discover their athletic potential.

d) Communicate when possible that training for a marathon is not a pleasure activity done in your spare time. Explain what it takes to reach your true potential in the sport.

e) Educate. Explain some basic facts. Marathon distance is 26 miles and 385 yards. A competitive marathoner does it without stopping to walk. Competitive marathoning is closer to sprinting than jogging. When outdoors, invite somebody to run along you for 50 yards at your marathon race pace, BQ pace, OTQ pace, and world-record pace. You do not go to the Olympics unless you make top 3 at the Trials, and you do not go to the Trials unless you make the standard. And you have to run this fast for over 26 miles just to make the standard. Haile holds the world record. Ryan Hall is the fastest American marathoner today. Etc.
adam

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 10:25:25 pm »

The ancients used to appreciate the run...it shows up in so many places in history. Somewhere along the way, people lost this appreciation. I suspect it came with the invention of the cubicle.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 07:22:25 am »

I think it came with the invention of the horse and especially the car...
Adam R Wende

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 09:30:53 am »

I think it came by the invention of the TV, computer, and all video games... Why work your legs when you can work your thumbs?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: