Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 03:13:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Marathon 2008  (Read 18775 times)
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 06:31:44 pm »

I would like to see Lance compete in a triathlon.  When I was about 16 I remember reading about him as a teenage tri-prodigy.  He was setting records even then.

Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 07:57:19 pm »

He probably didn't train the best, but he's still tough.
Oh I agree, he is one tough cookie.  To do what he has done you have to be.  And I think he has his priorities straight.  I think if he trained right he would do alot better.  I just think it is funny when people make the same excuses time after time.
Josse

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 02:03:29 pm »

So after seeing the Boston Marathon it makes me hungry to go back.  I think we should get a good group to go back in 2010.  So get preparing to quilfy so you all can come:)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 02:13:58 pm »

Why are you skipping 2009?
Josse

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 02:51:41 pm »

Because Marcie can't go until then and it will give people time to save money and prepare.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »

Yeah this was a pretty great race and having a big group there would be great.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 10:14:34 am »

Am I the only one tired of hearing him talk about he hasn't trained as hard as he wants to? It's a great way to set expectations low and have an excuse for not hitting the sub 2:20 he said he could hit before he ran his first marathon.

And why in the world does he get his own tape at the finish line...give me a break. I would have expected better than that from the most prestigious marathon in the world.

My hats off to the other 2:50 runners (or 4:50 runners) who worked just as hard or harder and crossed the same finish line everyone else did.

adam

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 10:34:22 am »

the finish tape was a whole pr thing. now boston can publicize itself by showing pictures of lance finishing. "we're still prestigious and up-to-date because lance ran here", etc.

for a brief moment it seemed he didn't want to go over to the other chute, and I actually felt bad for him having to do it, because it seemed like he has to deal with that kind of thing all the time. i think it was more of a BAA thing, too. But he still made the decision to go over to the other line, which he may not of had to do.

I think lance is content to get awards and achievements for little work at this point in his career. I wouldn't be suprised if he somehow won an ESPY or something for best male athlete just by running NYC and Boston, and somehow being "inspirational".
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 03:12:19 pm »

If he wins an Espy then I am canceling my subscription to ESPN. He's was/maybe is one of the world's best athletes who dominated a sport that requires tremendous endurance, particularly leg strength and cardiovascular excellence. It's not very "inspirational" that someone of his incredible athleticism runs a 2:50 marathon. Give an Espy to the guy who pushes his crippled son up and down the hills of Boston. That's inspirational. Don't get me wrong. I'm a HUGE Lance fan. He made me a fan of the Tour de France and it was something I looked forward to every year. But I wasn't a fan of the special treatment he got in his first marathon (illegal pacers) and I'm no fan of the most prestigious marathon on the planet caving to the almighty dollar to get a few photo opps. To me it's a slap in the face to the other 20,000 runners who worked just as hard if not harder to get into and run that race. I don't pin the finish line thing on Lance. I'm disappointed BAA went down the path that seemingly every other sports organization is going down.
jtshad

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 01:11:59 pm »

I agree with Sean, why in the world did Lance get a tape to break?  There were nearly 500 runners in front of him (including our Bloggers).  And so much for his "low 2:40's" prediction, if you are going to commit to a goal, put the time in and don't come up with the lame excuse of "I didn't have time to train."  We all are busy and we put in the training time.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 03:02:20 pm »

I do not think that Haile would get his own tape if he decided to ride in the Tour De France. In fact, I do not think they would even let him ride at all. Which goes to show that cycling beats running as far as public attention is concerned. This is good news and bad news. Good because it shows an endurance sport could be very popular. Bad for us because running is not there. What can we do to fix it? I've shared some thoughts on it in another thread, but more thoughts are welcome.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:32 pm »

I do not think that Haile would get his own tape if he decided to ride in the Tour De France. In fact, I do not think they would even let him ride at all. Which goes to show that cycling beats running as far as public attention is concerned. This is good news and bad news. Good because it shows an endurance sport could be very popular. Bad for us because running is not there. What can we do to fix it? I've shared some thoughts on it in another thread, but more thoughts are welcome.

I think some of it is individual marketing. I, for one, couldn't name one cyclist besides Lance. And yeah, the Tour De France is pretty popular to watch here in America, but how much of that is because of Lance? And what other international cycling events are popular in the U.S.? None that I know of.

My point is that Lance has done a superb job in marketing himself. He has a great personal story, has set records, dates rock stars, and hangs out with actors. People in the U.S. eat that up. The only runner who comes close to that is Dean Karnazes, and then other runners bash him for selling out and not being a "purist". Of course, Dean is not even in the same galaxy of talent as Lance, nor does he date rock stars. But he is a marketing genius. If someone with Ryan Hall's talent had Dean Karnazes' marketing ability, and Lance's story and media flair, then perhaps running would then have an ambassador.

Most runners would rather just train and live their lives rather than becoming media darlings, but I think that's what it takes to become visible in our society. So we need someone who is:
1. Exceptionally fast (American record or world record quality)
2. Good-looking
3. Charismatic
4. Likes to be in the spotlight
5. Willing to sell out a little bit and take some flak from all the "purists" out there.

I only have 3 of those 5 qualities, so it's going to have to be someone else.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 05:01:18 pm »

Lance was actually upset that he got is on finishing tape so it really wasn't his idea.  But he really doesn't take the sport serious and for that to get the time he got is amazing.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »

I'm laughing just trying to think of how to respond to that...
Josse

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 07:13:45 pm »

I'm laughing just trying to think of how to respond to that...
I'm laughing just trying to figure out which ones he thinks he has, I know that # 1 is a given.  What are the other 2?  and I am sure some of us could teach you the rest.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: