Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 05:09:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Utah Valley Marathon  (Read 8628 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« on: February 19, 2008, 08:56:48 pm »

The inaugural Utah Valley Marathon will be held on April 12th, 2008. The race starts at Bridal Veil Falls and finishes at the Footprinters Park. Most of the race goes on the Provo River Trail. Good choice for a spring marathon - low entry fee of $45, closer to home if you live in Southern Utah, most likely your training course if you live in the Provo-Orem area. There is a rather unusual prize for first place - $1000 with nothing for second or third. I have considered running it, but decided not to for a number of reasons. One of them is that I realized that we have a unique opportunity for an FRB team parade through the streets of Salt Lake a week later, and we need every soul that has a sub-2:30 in him on that course there. I will not have a sub-2:30 in me a week after chasing $1000 (and possibly missing it too, now I've just got a marathon in my legs with no result) in Utah Valley.

Details of the race are available at

http://utahvalleymarathon.com/node/8
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:57:57 pm by Sasha Pachev » Logged
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:29:44 am »

Who all is running SLC?
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:27:24 pm »

I am.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:28:21 pm »

Who all is running SLC?

I thought SLC was banned by the blog??
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:06:26 pm »

I was definitely not happy about SLC breaking the promises and holding back the money, and my initial reaction was to encourage boycott. However, after some thought I realized that it would be better if we all showed up in uniform and worked as a team. SLC is the biggest city in Utah, and SLC marathon is run on the streets which is not great for runners, but very good for the exposure. The finish is crowded, the biggest crowd of spectators you'll find in any Utah race. I do not think even St. George gives you as big of a crowd at the finish. There will be slow halfers that the team will be passing on the last miles. Possible crowding issues, but a great chance for a perfect FRB commercial - a team member blowing past a fading Kenyan with about 20 runners watching.
Also, portions of the race will be on TV.  And if we do a good sweep,  we'll be talking to the media and get some very good FRB promotion in the news.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:27:21 pm »

So good old fame and publicity win out over doing what is right, huh?  Typical America.   Wink

And yes, Sasha, that was meant to be sarcastic and funny, so don't take it too seriously...
jtshad

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:38:56 pm »

I am likely running it, but with some issues left convincing my lovely wife of 15 years that we could take our anniversary trip to SLC, and oh by the way I am running the marathon.  So far, the sell has been hard, but business travel is now making most other options far less likely.

I know that Adam Wende is running it as well.
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »

I never thought I'd see the day!  Sasha selling out (wink), Jon making fun (actually, I can easily imagine that), and JEFF!  What a scoundrel!  I shouldn't wonder if you ended up on the couch over this...
jtshad

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:39:04 am »

Yeah, Lybi, I am kinda in the doghouse over that little suggestion, so my odds of running SLC have gone down significantly since yesterday.  Didn't quite end up on the couch, but likely will be there if I bring it up again. 
Josse

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 01:56:29 pm »

I really think we should support Hyrum and sign up for one of the races, there is a 5k as well:)
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 07:00:49 pm »

If I can swing it with track meets I might do the 5k or volunteer for the marathon.  There is no way that I will be able to run the marathon now. 
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:18 am »

I also encourage all to run one of these races to help Hyrum out. I think this can eventually be a great event and Hyrum has worked hard to try and get this thing off the ground. However, with it being a first year marathon it so far has not seen a lot of pre-registration. I think it can be a great event and Hyrum (a fellow blog member) deserves our support. I would hate to see him take a financial loss this first year and not be able to bring it back next year. So if you can make it for at least the 5K then at least try and do that. I know I will be there even if I am unable to run I plan on having my kids run and volunteering as well. It would be great to see a lot of bloggers and get the win in both male and female category in both the marathon and 5K.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:27:30 am »

Just out of curiosity, who is signed up for the UVM?  Those that I know are running it are me, Josse and Paul.  I think that I heard that the DarkHorse will be there but am not sure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: