Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 02:11:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Striders Winter Circuit  (Read 16453 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« on: December 28, 2007, 02:15:09 pm »

Striders Winter Circuit has now officially made the Fast Running Blog supported race list. Race schedule:

5K February 16th 8:00am Ogden Ice Sheet/Dee Events Center in Ogden

10K  March 1st 8:00am Ogden Ice Sheet/Dee Events Center in Ogden
            10 Miler  March 15th 8:00am Ogden Ice Sheet/Dee Events Center in Ogden

Half-Marathon April 5th 8:00am Red Moose Lodge (First half of Ogden Marathon course)

30K (18.64m)  April 26th 7:30am Red Moose Lodge in Ogden Valley

More details at

http://www.stridersrunning.com/2008_winter_racing_circuit

Quick course review:

5 K - very hilly loop course, great strength builder, commando points from Brent. If you want to know your true max HR, wear an HRM and take a reading at the end of the hill at 1.5 mark.
10 K - similar to 5 K, double strength builder, double commando points from Brent.
10 M - even hillier than the other two, triple strength builder, triple commando points from Brent.
Half - gentle downhill for the first half, rolling hills for the second, about a minute slower than Moab when Moab is not head-windy. Head wind on the half is unlikely.
30 K - gentle rolling hills.

All courses are USATF-certified, which means they are guaranteed to be the correct length. Something we always expect, and often do not get. I have the 5 K in the predictor already, and will soon add others. Your performance in those races is a very accurate indicator of what you will do in Ogden.

The half mostly overlaps the first half of Ogden. The 30 K covers a good portion of the first half of Ogden as well. As you drive to those two and back, if you are coming from I-15, you will see the majority of the Ogden second half. So this is a great chance to become more familiar with the Ogden course.

After running the Circuit, you will be more than prepared to race in the Ogden marathon.

We strongly encourage the reader to run in all or at least some of the races of the Striders Winter Circuit.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:41:43 pm by Sasha Pachev » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:43:19 pm »

I'll second Sasha's recommendation of this circuit. It will make you TOUGH. Last year it was very well managed. Runnercard did the timing, and they would usually have results up before I would even get home! The Half Marathon is a potential PR course. Not only are these good races, but the socializing at the finish line is good too, as the atmosphere tends to be mellow and laid back. I met a lot of cool people last year.
Brent Barney
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:53:27 pm »

Commando Points Yes, to all bloggers, no walking on hills, for Striders Series.  Serious about PRs in 2008, start the year off right chasing those PRs and BQs.  If Sasha and Paul recommend the series, what better? Don't know what Commando Points are good for?  Well, run the Strider's Series and you will know.  Stay Cool, B of BS Rools out.  B and S will see you at the strider races.  P.S.  Jeff Galloway started the half marathon last year and gave out the awards, pretty cool.   
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:13:50 pm »

This is a great way to get motivated and going for spring races.  Like Sasha and Paul talked about, courses are good and the competition is tough as well.  It was very well done last year, and I would probably do the whole thing again if it wasn't for Del Sol.  I would also throw in my recommendation of this circuit, it is what got me going this year.
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 05:22:32 pm »

I also enjoyed the Striders races last winter/spring.  Some well run races with good cash prizes (although I was way to slow to win anything).  I wasn't a fan of the challenging courses (5K and 10K) at the time, but they helped me get ready for a year of PR's.  I am excited to run them again this next year and do even better.  Also rumor has it that the 10K course is different/better this year (hairpin turn followed by the out and back hill followed by the hairpin turn will be replaced with the first portion of the 10 miler...just a rumor though).  The series is an excellent way to prepare for the Ogden Marathon.  I hope to see many of you there....
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:41:43 am »

I agree these courses will kick your butt but as early season races these are great workout races. Very well run as well. I am still debating how many I will make the trip up for this year.
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:39:47 pm »

I posted some pics from the Striders Half on Clyde's blog if anyone wants to see!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: