Fast Running Blog
May 17, 2024, 08:00:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: St George Marathon  (Read 11148 times)
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« on: May 09, 2008, 10:00:27 pm »

I know a lot of people on the blog have guaranteed entry but for those of us that had to go through the lottery, who made it and who didn't?  I made it for the 4th consecutive year.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:32:25 pm »

I got in this year as well!
Josse

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:43:58 am »

I got in but had a guarantee for canceling last year.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:45:08 am »

I'm not sure where Kim and I stand and we're both kind of bummed at the moment. I have an email from a couple of months ago telling me I have a guaranteed entry but yet neither Kim or I show up on the list.

We're wondering if we got lost in the shuffle somehow as originally when Kim and I registered I put us both under the same group name. But then later I emailed back and forth with some of the race folks regarding whether I had guaranteed entry the said that I DID have guaranteed and that I would "bypass the lottery". So I just wonder when they say "bypass the lottery" if perhaps both Kim and I got taken out of the lottery pool and left by the wayside.

At any rate at the moment I'm waiting to hear back from an email I sent last night to Carlene who was the person down in SG that told me I had guaranteed entry. Kim is busy at the moment looking into charity-related methods of getting in.

Hey if anyone else has some magic formula for getting in...do tell Smiley
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:26:19 am »

Tom, I thought you did Painter's and Run 4 Kids.  I think you just had to do 2 out of the 7 races in the running series.  Please let us know what you find out.  Maybe Steve Hooper can help get you in.  There is another guy in our running group named Aaron that works for the city and helps organize the running events and we could also talk to him.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:56 am »

Dustin thanks for the suggestions. Although Kim and I did run Painter's and Run4Kids, we weren't thinking during the time before then when you had to officially sign up for the race series for guaranteed entry and we never signed up. At the time I had been told I already had guaranteed entry and Kim wasn't really considering running a marathon back then. I think they only allow 500 runners to get in by doing the race series.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get in since I have an email from Carlene that says as much. To get Kim in however we may need to work a little harder but I think we'll be able to find a way. I'll remember what you said about Steve and Aaron and maybe talk to them if we're not getting anywhere after the next couple of weeks.
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:31:49 pm »

My husband and I both got in on our first try.  We have never been to St. George.  Can someone recommend a good, convenient place to stay?
Josse

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:21:55 am »

Most of the time things are already booked up.  But I know alot of people double book rooms so they have extras and either can give the reservation to you or they cancle it and you will be albe to book it.  You just have to put the word out.  Or call at the end of July when everyone cancles there rooms.
Dee Smith
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:47:59 pm »

Myself and the majority of my running group got left out.  It looks like I'll be running the Grand Slam, which I really didn't want to do this year.
James Winzenz

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 02:41:55 pm »

We have had good experiences with the Coronada Inn and Suites the last couple of times, and they changed their reservation policy this year, so that you can (apparently) only book a room 90 days out.  It is fairly nice and is close enough that you can walk to the starting line.  That being said, since they changed their policy, we are at the Travelodge this year.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 03:25:42 pm »

Shauna - I stayed at a crummy motel last year and I think I will book at the Courtyard this year or rent a condo.  The Courtyard has shuttles to the start, food before the start, and poolside massages included--sounds good to me after the marathon.
James Winzenz

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 05:58:26 pm »

I didn't know the Courtyard even had availability - we had checked earlier.  Guess maybe openings will appear when people start to cancel their reservations . . .
Cory Birt
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 07:38:31 pm »

I'm happy to report that I made it in.  I had such a good time last year that I'm bringing 9 friends from Texas with me this year.  (I think they're still traumatized by Chicago last year!)  To them, my St. George experience from last year sounded so good by comparison that we entered two groups of 5 in the lottery and both groups made it in.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 08:13:10 am »

I didn't make it in, and I'm pretty angry. I had to pull some strings last year to run it, and I can't do that this year. This would have been my 8th consecutive year. Trying to make it to the 10 year mark. I guess I'll have to be creative or beg or something.
Cal
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:45:02 am »

I'm in via the '3rd times a charm' rule.  By the way, the Courtyard is awesome.  I'll be staying there again this year.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: