Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 06:21:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Berlin Marathon Finish  (Read 2001 times)
Bonnie
Posting Member

« on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »

So ... impressive run by Geoffrey Mutai today, and his training partner, Dennis Kimetto as well (or whatever his name is - who is somewhere between 18 and 28 years old, background on this comment here: http://www.letsrun.com/2012/berlin-preview-0929.php ).

After watching the video (ok, I will admit, a "few" times), I think Kimetto definitely let Mutai win.  I go back and forth on whether or not it makes me mad or "I can see why that would happen" ... what are your thoughts?

http://www.letsrun.com/2012/berlin-0930.php

Specifically, it could be that Kimetto was only invited to this race on the behest of Mutai.  It could be that if Mutai had not been able to hold on to pace early on in the race that Kimetto would have just continued on and not felt "bad" about winning, but since they worked together for pretty much the whole race Kimetto thought it was appropriate for Mutai to win.  Finally, it could be that Kimetto was in fact struggling at the end, and just is really really good at hiding it.

Regardless, I have never seen a 2:04 look so "easy" by any runner as it did for these two. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:17:09 pm by Bonnie » Logged
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:12:53 pm »

I just saw the 2:04:15/16 results on my phone yesterday when we were driving home, and knew nothing of how it played out, so needless to say I was expecting a wild finish... and seeing the video was kind of a letdown.

Whether it was pre-planned or not (I would guess it totally was), I've never seen two guys look so smooth at the end of a 2:04 marathon. Jeez, they looked like they were finishing up an easy long run!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: