Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 10:58:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strength Training for Runners?  (Read 2156 times)
Nate Page
Lurker

« on: July 06, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »

Just looking to get some input on the utility of strength training for improved running and if you do it (and what your workouts looks like).  I currently do not do much if any strength training and thinking about adding some to see if it'll help with running.  I don't have access to a gym so I'd have to manage with only dumbbells, a pull-up bar and stuff around the house.

When reading about the types to incorporate, it gets a little confusing.  Some people (like Steve Magness) suggest high weight/low rep work while other like the more traditional low weight/high reps. Then there's the whole plyometric stuff to incorporate. 

So I guess to sum it up, I want to do some strength training but I'm lost on a simple routine I can do at that house and I'm looking for ideas.
Chelsi
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:43:01 pm »

I'm interested in others' feedback, as well, as I've never been really good about strength training. I've felt it's important, but didn't really know what to do. I've recently started using an app called "You Are Your Own Gym" that is really simple and can be done about anywhere without special equipment or weights. I've seen great results in my muscle tone, definition, and strength, but I really don't know if it's had a great effect on my running (it's only been four weeks). I guess time will tell.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: