Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 10:12:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How is the Deseret News Marathon? What is your fav marathon in July/August?  (Read 2526 times)
Virginia Fife
Lurker

« on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »

I just finished my 8th marathon (UT Valley) and I'm hungry for more within the next couple months... but I need your wisdom!  I'd like a "fast course" haha, I know they all say that... but since I made the first cut, but not the second cut last year for Boston, I need to do it again, but faster!

How is the Deseret News Marathon?  Any others come to mind for July or August?  I could even travel some for a really great one.

Thanks for your input!!!  Smiley
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:56:37 am »

des news has lots of downhill, but it's not the fastest course around (at least in my experience). the course is actually pretty challenging/slower because of the extreme downhill. there is also a good climb up little mountain during miles 7-8, which is tough with the elevation. it's a race that leaves your quads pretty drained, but if you run it right (don't go too crazy in the early miles), you can have a good race and potentially run a PR.

the race is pretty small (~500 runners), but it is well organized and a fun challenge. keep in mind that it is always held on pioneer day, so this year it will be on a tuesday.

as for other marathons in july/august -- the only one i can think of is the park city marathon on august 18th. i've never run it, but i know it's not a fast course. i'm sure there are other options though since a new marathon pops up every day around here.

good luck.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:01:57 am by allie » Logged
gscho
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »

While not in July or August Ogden is my favorite marathon.

I've run Deseret News twice and the one thing that stood out to me is the heat.  Once you leave the canyon and especially as you get closer to downtown it's pretty warm.    It was my first marathon so it has many good memories for me.  One plus is that it's a smaller marathon so you're not bunched up for too long after the start.  If you give it shot, I'd love to hear your race report.  Good luck!
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

If you can wait until September, TOU is allie's true favorite.  2 weeks later, there is a new marathon in Huntsville.  3000'+ of drop, no climbing.  A quad masher, to be sure, but you'd think it will be pretty fast.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: