Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 05:47:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat in Boston  (Read 4944 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: April 13, 2012, 10:17:45 am »

If the weather forecast for Monday holds true, how much should an 70-80 degree tempature affect performance?  If my goal's 3:10, should I shift to 3:15 or slower?  I've never run a marathon in anything warmer than high 50's to low 60's. 
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:54 am »

At each aid station take one gatorade and one water. Drink the gatorade. Douse yourself with the water. Don't switch the two.

Dial it back the first half, see what your body gives you the second half. But that's the same advice I'd give for any weather condition. But the heat would be less forgiving to tactical mistakes. Be cautious, hydrate with electrolyte drink, douse with water, run a great second half, and enjoy passing all the flotsam.

Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:28:53 am »

I'm with Paul. The mistake people make at Boston is they go out too hard, regardless of the weather, right? This forces us (hopefully) to dial it back and not do anything stupid in the first half of the race.

Good advice on not dousing your face with Gatorade!  Smiley

Fast times have been run in these conditions (Beijing 2008 comes to mind... and heck, its the 30th anniversary of the Duel in the Sun!). And it shouldn't be humid, so at least we have that going for us.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:59:50 am »

I'm with Paul. The mistake people make at Boston is they go out too hard, regardless of the weather, right? This forces us (hopefully) to dial it back and not do anything stupid in the first half of the race.

Good advice on not dousing your face with Gatorade!  Smiley

Fast times have been run in these conditions (Beijing 2008 comes to mind... and heck, its the 30th anniversary of the Duel in the Sun!). And it shouldn't be humid, so at least we have that going for us.

I thought the same thing about Beijing. But this was the best marathon runner ever you're talking about. The more elite the athlete, the more they can overcome adverse conditions (ie - heat, wind, hills, etc). Most people still wilt in the heat, barring Wanjiru, Salazar, and Beardsley and a few others. Still, lack of humidity will help.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »

In my first marathon, I alternated taking gatorade and water at aid stations. I would take a sip and then pour the rest on my head. My hair was very crunch afterwards, it was kind of cool.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:23:27 pm »

Oh I know Paul - plus, its been proven very definitively that if you are 5'3" 110 lbs, you dissipate heat a lot better than "normal" sized people.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:14:16 pm »

Thanks guys!  I'm definitely not in the elite category, so won't get my hopes up for anything close to a pr.  However, I'll caution my 180 lb. body in the first half, take Paul's hydrating advice, plant a full gatorade with my family on mile 15 or 16, and hope for a strong second half.  Also, pray for a shift in weather report + a few well placed clouds. 

Good luck to all running Boston!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

Here's a great calculator that shows how much temps will slow you down.  For example, a 3:10 effort at temps below 60 deg F is the same as 3:15:37 at 80 deg.

http://www.runworks.com/calculator.php
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:55:43 pm »

I was off 23 minutes on the calculator...probably could have done a 3:19, but may not have lived to tell about it!  Thanks for the feedback and great job Jake! 
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:31 am »

According to the science of sport guys, the "effective heat" on the course (in the sunlight - which was most of the time based on everyone's massive sunburns) was around 95 degrees.

I think every little mistake was magnified by about 10X out there on Monday.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: