Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 03:37:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Utah Marathon  (Read 12112 times)
Preston
Lurker

« on: March 01, 2012, 08:17:14 pm »

What are everyone's thoughts on the new Utah marathon?  I think it is a good idea to have an alternative in the fall to St. George in Salt Lake.  I am so new that I don't really know who organizes the best races, that's why I'm asking you guys.

If you haven't heard here is the link.

http://reasonstorun.blogs.deseretnews.com/2012/03/01/utah-marathon-and-fittest-state-festival-become-salt-lake-citys-third-marathon/

Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:51:19 pm »

Interesting - thanks for posting this. It looks like they will have a website up in a few weeks.

I've always thought October is a great month for marathons in Utah. The chances of snow on the course are just as high in April/May.

Here's an approximate map of what the course they describe would look like... it wouldn't be an easy one, that's for sure!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5325653
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »

The course looks hideous, compared to all the other canyon screamers.  I'd love to see a quality marathon in SLC.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »

Here's my ideal SLC Marathon course, but it has to be on a day with no wind!  Grin

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5325876
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:43:05 pm »

It will be interesting to see if the fact that it is organized by the former director of the Salt Lake Marathon will have any affect on how the race is perceived.  Like Kam said, a course that does not scream down a canyon is hard to sell in Utah although I think it is something that we need more of. 
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:40:35 pm »

I was excited to hear about this until I read the course layout.  That's a monster pull from downtown up Memory Grove on to East Bonneville Blvd. to 11th ave.  11th ave is also uphill all the way to the fire station which is a mile and a half.  What a horrible way to start a marathon.  I run in this area all the time, it's great for an uphill workout but disastrous for a race.  I can't see this being anything but a total failure.  I think experienced runners don't want to waste their training on what is arguably one of the most difficult courses in the country and inexperienced runners will be walking shortly after entering memory grove.

I hate to be a naysayer, I wan't to be supportive of all things running, especially in my home town, but this is just lipstick on a pig.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:21:21 pm »

Another new one...

http://www.huntsvilleutahmarathon.com/huntsville-utah-marathon-races.html
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »

"fastest marathon in Utah"

Aren't they all the fastest?

Question: when is the market going to become completely saturated? Or is it already there? Like when Starbucks stores started closing because they started cannibalizing themselves...
When I moved to Utah (in 2001), there were 5 marathons, now there are close to 20. How many are needed?
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 06:35:40 pm »

I've got to admit I like that course profile for the new Huntsville Marathon. Nothing on the website about course certification, BQ etc - at least that I can find.

I think you're right Paul. Several of these races will fall by the wayside once the current running boom ends and once EVERYBODY has scratched "run a marathon!" off of their lifetime to-do list.

I registered for the 1999 Boston Marathon in early March. Just waxing nostalgic.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 06:56:31 pm »

This new one only has 3500 feet of downhill. The market won't be saturated until someone cracks the 5000 foot barrier. Even Alta to Temple Square would only be ~4500, so we need to start it at the top of the Snowbird tram.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »

Jake- I know one that starts at the Snowbird Tram.  Of course, it goes uphill...

Speedgoat 50k.  I dare you to try it.  If you're brave enough.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:40:16 am »

Nice try on the dare... but I'd need a double-dare (potentially a triple dare) to do something like that and wreck my legs for a month.   Wink
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 05:42:02 pm »

In that case, I'm bypassing the double dare and triple dare and skipping straight to the triple dog dare!
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:02:10 pm »

"Jon created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the double dog and triple-dare and going right for the throat..."
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 06:12:06 pm »

Intentional  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: