Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 09:36:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Qualifying Marathons . . .  (Read 9610 times)
Preston
Lurker

« on: February 15, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »

For a big runner, like myself, what would be the best marathon for me to train for when I am ready to qualify for Boston? Any ideas?
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:30 pm »

If your quads can handle the pounding, St George is always near the top of the list for "highest % of finishers that qualify for Boston"... Utah Valley and TOU have less net loss, which may be a little easier on the legs. I think the ones you have on your schedule will give you the best shot among Utah races. You'd have to go out of state for a flat course.

Preston
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »

Thanks Jake, I appreciate the quick responses to my questions.  I think I am going to go for it at St. George this year if: 1) I get in and 2) if I have good runs at Ogden and Utah Valley that make me feel like I can get my fitness level where it needs to be.  Obviously I am currently in the process of getting my fitness level up . . . .
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:12:55 am »

I would agree that St George is the fastest as long as you are a good down hill runner.  As for using Ogden and Utah Valley to determine your fitness level.  I ran both marathons last year and it is really hard to run both marathons well.  They are just so close together. 
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:15:18 pm »

The Layton Marathon is unfailingly flat.  It's the week after St. George, if you don't get in.  To qualify, though, you probably want every advantage you can claim, and running down a canyon is a big help, as long as you don't lose your legs.  Good luck with the St. George lottery.  That marathon is past due for a good weather year.
Preston
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »

I have come to realize that maybe I am being a bit ambitious in running both races.  The big thing I have decided is that I am going to run Ogden for time, and then make my decision for how I will run Utah Valley based on how my body feels. 

I appreciate all the advice guys, I still have a long ways to go with running but this blog has been a great support for me thus far.  I have already improved so much!
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »

Last year I planned on running the Ogden Marathon for time and see what happens in Utah Valley, Simular to what you have planned.  Things didn't workout during the Ogden Marathon.  It just wasn't my day.  I didn't drop out of the race but at mile 20, I just jogged it in.   Then in Utah Valley I tried again, and had a pretty good race and BQ.  So plan to run well at ogden, but don't be afraid to change your plans.  I am glad I did.
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:25:55 pm »

Two things to consider:

1.  The Utah Valley Marathon had the fastest average finish time of all marathons in Utah last year: 4:17. (the average finish time for the St. George Marathon was 4:25... 8 minutes slower than Utah Valley)Average finish times of every marathon can be found at marathonguide.com

2.  The Utah Valley Marathon is the only marathon that will give you a Boston Qualifier shirt after you qualify, and the Utah Valley Marathon gives discounts to marathon runners that are currently qualified for the Boston Marathon.
Carl Youngquist
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »

Hey Preston, you might want to look at this article:

http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id202.html

It was written by a guy who went by the screen name of Jim2 on the Runner's World Forums. He passed away a couple of years ago, but left a good bit of his running knowledge and advice on the above website.
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »

Preston, since your first post, another Marathon has popped up that might give St. George a run for the money at being Utah's fastest course.  Boasting 3800' of elevation drop, it's the Huntsville Marathon.  http://www.huntsvilleutahmarathon.com/

It's past the date to qualify for 2013 Boston, though.
Preston
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »

I had seen that marathon, I just don't know that it is going to be a BQ race.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: