Fast Running Blog
June 02, 2024, 12:03:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lactic Acid or Simply Out of Shape?  (Read 3564 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: November 11, 2009, 06:07:42 am »

I'm sure we've all been there where we've signed up for a race, have a little nagging injury or personal life issues that prevent us from getting in adequate training and then we go for broke at the race.. Well I was set to do a 15k on Nov. 8th and I ended up rolling my ankle on Oct. 20th. No bruising, etc. But took time to heal, which was impeded most likely by my running a half marathon on Oct. 25th (couldn't pass it up!). So my point is aside from the 1/2 marathon on the 25th, I only ran one other time, 3 days before the 15k (~5 miles) in the three weeks leading up to the race. This after a solid summer of 30-40 mile weeks! I found that even though I ran consistent 7:40-8:00 miles, I was not onl out of gas at the end but was unbearably sore the next day. It was to the point where I was groaning like an old man. My quads and hammys were shot. This might have been because 1/2 the race was downhill and the second 1/2 uphill. I don't know . What are your thoughts? Is it lactic acid buildup or am I simply out of shape? I decided to run Monday and Tuesday to try to loosen things up. Monday hurt so bad I could only hold about 9:40 pace for 5 miles. Yesterday was better and I did 6.3 miles at 8:45 pace or so. Less pain this morning (Wed) now that I'm up and at them.
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:04:27 pm »

Probably just the hills.  Did you train running downhill to get the quads ready?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 02:42:54 pm »

The cause of muscle soreness to that extent would be muscle fiber damage from pounding, not lactic acid. At the end of a mile race when you have probably 20 times as much lactic acid as you would at rest you can still run your mile race pace, or at least close. Even if you do slow down it is rarely slower than your 5 K race pace. So lactic acid, if it slows you down at all, does not slow you down that bad.

The cure for muscle fiber damage is simple -  rest.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 08:40:06 pm »

Not a problem now. Student teaching is retarded. In NY you have to pay for the equivalent grad school credits, so I paid 6,000 dollars out of pocket to work 40 hrs in a school and at least another 10 prepping outside of it. Plus I have had to pick up 4 night shifts at the bookstore the next few weeks, and as my treadmill is broken, there is no time to run. I only have from 10pm to 5am off each day. This sucks. I hate my life. All my fitness is eroding.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:59:15 pm »

That's rough, Benn.  I guess sometimes life is like that- you are just so busy that you don't have time for running as much as you like.  But keep at your teaching, and you'll end up ok.  Nothing ever lasts forever, including being busy.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:31:59 am »

Benn - i felt the same way earlier this semester when i had absolutely no time to train but training was mandatory since i was getting ready for the TOU marathon. i was getting to bed after midnight each night and waking up at 4 am just to squeeze in mileage wherever possible. it's frustrating because school and work both have to take priority over running, even though running can feel just as important to you sometimes. but like jon said, it doesn't last forever. you will get your head above water soon enough, things will slow down and then you can devote more attention to running again. maybe it means putting off current race plans until you feel you have more time to train. school is hard - there is NEVER enough time or money. but it is all worth it and the effort will pay you back someday. (at least that's the plan?  Undecided)  best of luck - the semester is almost over!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:58:49 am »

Benn - I thought US abolished slavery after the Civil War :-) In fact, as far as I remember, New York was on the anti-slavery side.
But I suppose the times are changing. Slavery now comes with a special twist. At least the slaves got room and board, and were not expected to pay for the privilege of working.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:08:40 pm »

I paid for student-teaching in the early 90's- $$, time, and no life for a semester.  If you have a heart for young people and a passion for the subject matter, it'll be worth the present "hoops" you have to jump through.  And, no doubt, we need good teachers.  It wasn't something I'd want to do again, but a valuable part of the process.  Keep your head up- you'll be a better person for it. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: