Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 07:18:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can humans run an antelope to death?  (Read 21900 times)
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 11:26:47 am »

The point is I believe that man is superior biomechanically and in events of pure endurance, which is often times ignored or not realized by the general public.  I think a more silly discussion is one that involves the speed of man vs. the animal kingdom.  We already know the conclusions in that discussion.  Yes, man is slower.  Now what?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 12:02:37 pm »

Man is weaker than some beasts in the animal kingdom in every way unless he uses his intelligence. Then he can be stronger than any beast in every way. That is the way God made it, and He did so for a purpose. So that man, when he humbles himself and ponders, would know his heritage, that he is a child of God.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 07:00:13 pm »

I didn't want to take it this direction, but I beg to differ in that it's not man's intelligence but simply God's desire that makes man superior.  As stated in Genesis,

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 07:57:34 pm »

The value of this discussion is that whether you believe in evolution or creationism, it doesn't matter on this point. The bottom line is: MAN WAS BORN TO RUN. If you've been on the couch so long you can't run, you've either betrayed your heritage or your God (or both) so GET OFF THE FREAKIN' COUCH! And I guess to take it one step further (and to honor the FRB) RUN FASTER! You were uniquely designed (or evolved) so you could run down game. What have you done with that gift?
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 10:59:15 am »

Amen to that!
stevehooper
Lurker

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 10:04:53 am »

Interesting note:

The Western States 100 miler (Tevis Cup) started off as a horse race until 1974 when Gordy Ainsleigh's horse became lame and decided to ditch his horse and run the whole 100 with the horses and actually beat a few.  The next year a few more people signed up. After a few years they decided to separate the men and the horses and have two races.  Modern UltraRacing became popular mostly due to this event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_States_Endurance_Run

Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 03:31:22 pm »

My vote goes with the human any day of the week and any land animal--as long as the thing we are controlling for is whether the human can, in a reasonable amount of time (maybe 12 hours) outrun (either cover more distance or run farther than the animal can before death) the animal.  Someone mentioned huskies running 111 miles per day.  Three problems:  1) calories ingested per pound 2) they are trained for running by humans 3) They work as a team with many dogs.  To get a reasonable answer you have to eliminate all the variables except the one you are looking for. 
You give a single human and a single animal in a comparable state of fitness both the same amount of calories per pound of body weight and I guarantee the human will win every time simply because the human's method of running uses fewer joules of energy per joule of work--therefore he can run longer on the same amount of energy.  We don't even need to consider heat and sweat and things, but if we did then the margin only increases.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 03:33:40 pm »

Check out the big brain on Joseph! Tongue
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »

yeah whatever holt. haha.  I was just tickled to find another running application for the physics class I took last semester.  hehe.
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 12:19:15 pm »

Fredrick - I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like they kill the discussions all the time.  LOL.
There is a Man Against Horse Race every year in Prescott Valley, AZ the same day as the St. George Marathon.  They have a 50 mile race, 25 mile race, and 12 mile race.  I've only done the 12 mile race and we got the shaft.  Only about 3 horses did that.  I kept leap-frogging one of the horses as we ran through a washbed.  Every time we came to a sharp turn, the horse would have to slow way down and I would pass it.  But when we were on solid ground it would trot right pass me as if I wasn't moving.
My buddy won the 50 mile race.  Well, he was the first human.  I think 3 horses beat him.  But the horses have two mandatory stops.  One stop is for 30 minutes minimum or until the heart rate is under a certain bpm.  The other is a 45 minute minimum.
http://www.managainsthorse.com/
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 12:52:50 pm »

If you stop a horse for 30 minutes in a 10 K I'll beat it no problem. In a 12 mile race, it would make things interesting, it would depend on the horse.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:41 am »

why humans can outrun horses but can't jump higher than cats...

http://alturl.com/mxgk4
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:28:24 am by allie » Logged
David Taylor
Lurker

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »

I chased an antelope all over Parker Mountain last Saturday just to see, and it turns out that you would probably need three runners taking turns to do the job, each one chasing the antelope back into the center of its territory, moving it back and forth like a ping pong ball. Even ofter the bloody thing had gone 20+ miles it was still up for more, but resting at every opportunity. I was done after 13.

Here's the track if you're interested, it's pretty easy to keep up with them since they are lazy.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/rAwxZgN7ZAE
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: