Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 02:27:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Can humans run an antelope to death?  (Read 21903 times)
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:21 am »

Humans who can run animals to death:

http://alistairpott.com/2009/04/15/persistence-hunting-humans-running-antelope-to-death/
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:45:32 am »

another article: http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/1206/1206_samplings.html
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:16 am »

Yes, as a hunter myself I find this very interesting.  I've read about this before, but never saw it happen.  Fasting from food also enahnces the sensoring capabilities and motivation of humans making them even more focused on the chase.  Basically, hunger makes us better hunters.  I think some runners try to tap into that by the so called "Spartan" approach.  Luckily this man didn't run into a even hungrier puddy-tat.  Thanks for sharing.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:41:26 pm »

Seems very possible, especially if there were multiple people to wear out the animal.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »

My opinion is that this is possible because the antelope lacks intelligence. If I were the antelope with human intelligence I would plan, pace myself, take food/water breaks appropriately, use my antelope sense of smell rationally, and there is no way those guys would get me. Consider this - an antelope could jog a marathon in an hour. A very fit human would have to take 3 hours if he plans to be able to aim a spear afterwards. So an antelope could run for an hour, take 40 minutes to refuel and rehydrate, then run another hour, repeat that several times, and now the hunters will need a helicopter to catch up. They are going to go after a different animal, less intelligent.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:23:46 pm »

I have no proof, but I suspect that an antelope is like a sprinter. They can go fast, but not for very long. I could easily run down Usain Bolt. It would probably only take me about 2 minutes. He could use any pacing tactic that he wants, but he will wear out while I am still warming up.

On the other hand, if I got a 30 second head start Mr Bolt would never be able to catch me.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »

Interesting. We should all try it. I know where there are thousands of them over where I grew up.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 09:45:38 am »

Interesting. We should all try it. I know where there are thousands of them over where I grew up.

how about a FRB race on antelope island?
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:59:14 am »

IMO it has nothing to do with superior intellect, but everything to do with the superiority of human biomechanics vs. four legged fur coated beasts.  If you took both man and beast, placed them on a high school track, then had them walk around the track, I think man would out last and win everytime.  I don't think it matters if you gave the beast a break, paced it, yelled encouraging words, whatever.  The efficiency and physical makeup of man simply overwhelm those of the animal in terms of outright endurance.  The only chance an animal has is by hiding or hoping man gets lost.  If you remove those options, I believe the beast will lose.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:48:08 am »

Check this out!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:06:26 pm »

wow, i want to run that someday! what do you suppose a typical horseback riding pace is?

what if we were to race/chase siberian huskies?

according to past Iditarod results, the fastest dogs cover roughly 1,000 miles in roughly 9 days. that is an average of 111 miles a day, averaging just under 13:00 pace. the mushers take their dogs out on 50-100 mile training runs to prepare for the race and the dogs consume about 10,00-14,000 calories per day...so they get breaks to eat, they are paced, encouraged, cared for, etc.

so, human biomechanics may be superior/more efficient, but it seems to me that a husky could usually outlast a human. in this case, the beast wins.

interestingly enough, i found an interview online about dog racing that mentions the intelligence of the dogs:

WDW: What are the breed’s strengths and weaknesses as racing sled dogs?

Karen: Well, I think the breed's biggest weakness is their intelligence. Smiley I work alot with Jamie Nelson in Minnesota and get to compare the learning curve and performance levels of her Alaskans to my Siberians. The Alaskans don't seem to have to have things 'explained' to them like the Siberians do. You show them what you want and they will apply themselves 110% to the task. The Siberians tend to need to be shown why it is to their advantage to do this and want to always know what is in it for them.

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 12:21:57 pm »

I'm sure there are some animals that can beat humans in certain conditions- camels (?) in the desert, some dogs, maybe some others.  From what I have read, overall humans are pretty unique in their long distance ability.  Biomechanically, 2 legs are more efficient than 4 (though definitely slower).  We are better suited to cool ourselves (sweat glands) versus other animals (panting, etc) so can travel in heat.  One advantage would certainly be that we can carry food and water and consume them on the move, while other animals have to stop.  This is a real big advantage over herbivores, which often have to spend lots of time eating each day, while not as much over carnivores.  Intersting topic.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:51:57 pm by Jonathan Allen » Logged
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:55:04 pm »

Nope, I'm gonna be stubborn and stick to my bet.  Put up any trained dog you want.  I still think a trained man would win every time against a four legged beast over land.  Hotter weather and hills just favors man even more. 

What a great Friday topic to have over a few beers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:59:12 pm by Bob » Logged
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 01:48:46 pm »

Can somebody please bring their antelope to the FRB race on Satruday so that we can test our theories.
Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »

I hate to admit this, but I once (unintentionally) ran a dog to death.  It was a pretty warm day on the hilly part of the Pipeline trail in Millcreek Canyon.   The dog and I had run it the day before and all was well.  I decided to run it again the next day, and right near the end the dog collapsed and died.  I feel terrible about it, but just had to let you know that I agree with Bob and I think most dogs cannot handle the heat and hills like humans can.  So be careful if you run a dog in the heat and/or on hills!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: