Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 03:51:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know anything about "pitstops" during the Provo 1/2?  (Read 5932 times)
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« on: August 05, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »

I like to plan ahead mentally for when I will get to take a potty break (today I only made it to 3 miles!)  Last year during the Provo 1/2 I did not stop at all (and that was a near disaster in mile 12 if anyone saw the crazy lady dive to the grass to avoid wetting her pants---there was nowhere to go at that point, so i had to stop for a few minute until the urge left me, and I will not make that mistake again.  I would rather lose time in an actual bathroom than sitting on the grass making everyone stop to ask me if I am okay!!)

Anyway, does anyone happen to know when and where they are located?  I know it is a dumb question, it is just a big issue for me and it helps me to plan ahead---really!  If I mentally know I have to wait until mile 7, I can do it!
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:01:26 pm »

Curt doesn't put port o potties along the way.   He relies on the ones already out.  There is a bathroom located at the bottom of South fork, where you are going to go form the road to the path at about 3.5 miles.  Then the next ones are at Nunns which is about mile 7-8.  Then from there you are on your own to dive into bushes.  I should teach you my way to pee, you don't have to pull down the shorts and no one would ever know what you are doing.  I just look like I am stretching.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:16:47 pm »

Welcome to Josse's VPB classes!
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:28:04 pm »

Curt doesn't put port o potties along the way.   He relies on the ones already out.  There is a bathroom located at the bottom of South fork, where you are going to go form the road to the path at about 3.5 miles.  Then the next ones are at Nunns which is about mile 7-8.  Then from there you are on your own to dive into bushes.  I should teach you my way to pee, you don't have to pull down the shorts and no one would ever know what you are doing.  I just look like I am stretching.

That was kind of what I remembered, vaguely!  Let's hope I make it to mile 7/8, but thankfully there is one early on as well.  I tell ya, giving birth to those 5 kids has done a number on me!

I guess I need to be part of your "class", although I am unsure what that acronym was??  I have issues!

That brings to mind a clip I saw on YouTube of Paula Radcliffe (London Marathon 2005).  She just squatted, looked like she might be stretching, and went---right there by the side of the road, cameras filming and all!  I am not that brave or desperate.  If I was fast gonna win, I guess I would be!!
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 07:30:08 pm »

So, with this new trail for Saturday, anyone local know where the bathrooms will be?  Are they still included in the run???
Josse

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:45:36 pm »

The first one will.  Not sure about anything else.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:35:50 pm »

I'll stop at the first one the, that should get me through.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:32:19 pm »

If we are hopping back on the trail at the parking lot just downhill of bridal veil, then you'll know that you have a bathroom ahead of you at nunn's park.  (the mile 7-8 one, I think it is closer to the 7 mile mark).  Bathrooms are a concern for alot of us, so you're not alone.  I have only had three kids, but three's enough to make a difference.  I found I had no urges to go during the DesNews 10k because I didn't drink for 1 hour and 25 minutes before the race, instead of the typical 1 hour before routine I usually do.  I was concerned I would be parched and need more water, but I was hydrated just fine.  So I think I found a key, that limiting my drinking perhaps won't make me run bad and might also prevent "issues".  I'm still experimenting.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:25:10 pm »

VPB = Virtual Private Bathroom
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:36:04 am »

VPB = Virtual Private Bathroom

OH!!!  I see!  Thanks for that.  I need to sign up for sure.
Carolyn Herlin
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 12:50:21 pm »

Grin For those of you are complaining about the side effects of having babies, I'm not sure specifically what potty-related issue you're talking about, but I was having trouble with (stop reading if this is too much information) stress incontinence, especially when running, and I recently had a procedure called TVT (tension-free vaginal tape) that has helped immensely. If this is your problem, you might look into this procedure.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 01:47:13 pm »

Grin For those of you are complaining about the side effects of having babies, I'm not sure specifically what potty-related issue you're talking about, but I was having trouble with (stop reading if this is too much information) stress incontinence, especially when running, and I recently had a procedure called TVT (tension-free vaginal tape) that has helped immensely. If this is your problem, you might look into this procedure.

Apparently my issues are not bad enough since they only affect me during running.  I can still laugh and sneeze with no ill side effects!  Do you think I could find someone who would "tape" me up anyway???  Was it all painful or invasive?
Carolyn Herlin
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:36 pm »

Apparently my issues are not bad enough since they only affect me during running.  I can still laugh and sneeze with no ill side effects!  Do you think I could find someone who would "tape" me up anyway???  Was it all painful or invasive?

I guess I would call it "minimally invasive." It was outpatient surgery. I was unable to run for about 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery. I'm in Colorado, so I don't know about doctors in Utah who do this procedure. (I'm assuming you're in Utah, but I guess I really don't know for sure.) I strongly suspect that the doctor who did my surgery has Utah connections, so I could ask him if he knows of a doctor there (or wherever you are) that does it. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Before he did the surgery, he did a test called urodynamics that indicated whether I was a candidate for the surgery. Maybe you'd need to have a test like that to find out if you're really a candidate. I never had trouble with laughing, but I did with sneezing.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 07:48:04 am »

I guess I would call it "minimally invasive." It was outpatient surgery. I was unable to run for about 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery. I'm in Colorado, so I don't know about doctors in Utah who do this procedure. (I'm assuming you're in Utah, but I guess I really don't know for sure.) I strongly suspect that the doctor who did my surgery has Utah connections, so I could ask him if he knows of a doctor there (or wherever you are) that does it. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Thanks for the info.  I have an appt this week to check MANY things, so I will ask.  I suspect that i am fine, as I only have issues while running, and I really do HAVE to go, but it is still worth checking in to!
Before he did the surgery, he did a test called urodynamics that indicated whether I was a candidate for the surgery. Maybe you'd need to have a test like that to find out if you're really a candidate. I never had trouble with laughing, but I did with sneezing.

Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:16 pm »

BTE= Best Thread Ever
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: