Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 11:44:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad knee, please help!  (Read 3131 times)
Darren Tintle
Lurker

« on: August 04, 2008, 07:22:35 pm »

I am currently training for only my second half-marathon ever.  I did my second to last big run today- 9 miles.  It went well except for about around mile 7-8 my left knee really started hurting.  It hurts inside the knee.  The best way to describe the pain is it feels like inflammation inside more than anything.  However, I don't know what the exact problem is. 

So, I went and bought a knee brace today.  I have never worn a knee brace nor have I ever had knee problems, EVER.  However, my knee has been killing all day today, especially going up and down stairs.

I know that this problem is probably very common to runners, but I'm only 25 and this is only my second half-marathon and a couple of 5k's I've ever run.  Is there anything that I can do about this or is it just a fact of life?

Thanks in advance for your comments on this matter!
Tim
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:13:52 pm »

You should post this in the injury section, you might get more responses.  I know there are several injuries in that section that are similar to what you are explaining, I was one of them.  I ended up just taking it real easy for over a month and took almost 2 full weeks off of running, just riding the bike and swimming. 
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:10:50 pm »

Knees are very tricky.  That being said the first thing I would do is get a rolling pin and roll out the quads and adductor (inside of your leg).  If this helps it is probably muscle related.  If it doesn't it might be something inside the knee and I would go see a sports doc. to see if there is any damage.  Hope this helps.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:12:56 pm »

It really, really depends on a lot of things.  It could be worn out or poor fitting shoes, it could be an overuse injury (i.e. increase mileage too much recently), it could be knee alignment (tight muscles), etc.  Hard to say without more info.  But no matter what, ice, ice, ice it.  I don't know a knee brace will do much good for most causes.  Rest, ice, and give us more info.

Don't give up on running, though- we all go through injuries at some point.  Almost all injuries go away with proper correction and treatment.  I've had lots of knee problems but taken care of all of them so I can run pain free.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:31 pm »

My personal advice is to get away from the knee brace. If it is not prescribed, do not use it! You can do more damage with a brace that is unfit and unrelated to your injury than help. 

Are your shoes good (meaning correct for your feet, not walmart brand, not old)? Do you run on roads, sidewalks, dirt, or grass? Do you warm up/cooldown?
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:12:17 pm »

I am no expert in any way, shape, or form, BUT I have major knee issues.  I know for me the biggest issues I deal with have to do with my shoes wearing out, downhill training, and terrain---this being the biggest issue.  So my advice would be to ice it, take it a little easy and try running on a treadmill for a bit.  Treadmills are awful, but they are so much easier on the knees!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: