Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 11:05:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any training modifications necessary for Masters runners?  (Read 6249 times)
Tom
Posting Member

« on: October 08, 2007, 01:36:04 pm »

At first I had used "older" in place of "Masters" in the title but I think Masters sounds a lot better, especially since I'll turn 43 in November.

Having been on the blog for around 9-10 months now I feel like I've now got a pretty good handle on what type of training Sasha and most the other experienced/elite runners on the blog prescribe, i.e. run 6 days a week, higher mileage for most of us, forgo speedwork until a good base has been established, good nutrition, etc.

Having tried to follow this advice for a few months I can vouch for the many positive results that come about. On the other hand, I recall reading numerous articles over the years that discuss modifications that runners should consider making, not just when they get to their 40s, but also in their 50s, 60s, and beyond. Typical suggestions include NOT running 6 days a week but cutting back to 4 or 3 and maybe replacing them with cross-training or something.

I know we don't have a whole lot of older (oops I mean "Master") runners on the blog but we do have a few and I'm just curious what others thoughts are on whether it is important as we age to make any modifications to the baseline Sasha-approved training regiment?

Personally for me making the changes suggested in my training by Sasha was tough at first, requiring hard work and committment but has gotten alot easier as new habits have been formed and positive results have come about. Plus lately I just feel great most every day! My legs have never felt fresher. So I'm hoping the plan I'm on is legit for an older guy like me for quite a few more years yet, but if there are different rules for us masters I would like to be informed. Hopefully I'm not the only one on the blog interested in this.

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:23:15 pm »

For a master, I would just recommend to be more cautious in general, pay more attention to the body complaining about injuries, increase the mileage a lot slower, give more time to adjust to higher mileage, increase the amount of time between speed workouts, etc. Also, eating a healthy diet becomes a matter of particular importance - you cannot afford to clog your pipes any more, they are already clogged enough. You dump a bit more garbage down, and they will finally clog up and make a mess on the floor.
Michael
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 07:52:43 am »

43 years - youre still in the youth category. I definately agree with Sasha in watching your body and increasing your miles slowly - I just learned that lesson
Paul Thomas
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:43:33 pm »

This is a timely topic for me. Thanks for bringing it up, Tom.

I'm 47. In 1982, I was 22 when I ran St. George for the first time and finished in 2:52 and 6th in my division. I gave up running seriously for 20 years, until 2002, when I decided to train to run a marathon again. I've learned a couple of lessons as a masters runner:

Lesson #1 - As has been mentioned, listen to your body and don't be too aggressive in adding mileage and speed.

As I started training and got feeling better and better, my old desires to go fast returned and I ended up overtraining and severely pulling a calf muscle and ended up not running a marathon in 2002. I tried again in 2003, with exactly the same results, a severely pulled calf muscle. I would start feeling good then push too fast too soon with not enough training miles behind me then...boom!...injured. Every now and then I get feeling confident and push too hard, which normally results in some new ache or pain.

Lesson #2 - Don't underestimate your potential just because you're older.

In 2004 I was finally able to run St. George again. My times have been 3:41:50 (2004), 3:27:54 (2005), and 3:32:47 (2006). I figured at my age I would never see sub-3:00 hour again. In fact, I started afresh with my PR, ignoring my previous life. But then this year, due mostly to the blog, I was motivated to start training more miles, with longer tempo runs instead of track speed work, lost some weight, and suddenly...much to my surprise...I run St. George this year in 3:07. Suddenly I'm believing I can go sub-3:00 again. I only took 34th place this year in my division. If I look at the 6th place finisher in my division this year (same place I took in 1982 as a young man), he finished in 2:48, and he's 47 just like me. In fact, I think there were 13 men my age or older who ran sub-3:00. If they can do it, why can't I?

The trick for me is balancing lesson #1 and lesson #2. Maybe I could summarize it as "Go for it! But don't overdo it." I find it to be a difficult balancing act. My plan is to build from where I am and gradually increase my weekly mileage, mixing in some tempo runs, but not too many. I will save my all out "go for it" efforts for occasional races along the way. Someday I hope to reach my maximum potential, which is likely to be decreasing slightly even as I'm pursuing it. The great thing is, I don't really care where it is. I just want to try to reach it, and to enjoy the journey.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 02:57:04 pm »

I'm not a Masters runner, but I have some friends that are.  One of their mottos is to be sure that your hard days are hard and your easy days are real easy.  Most of your improvement comes from your hard days, so make sure they are good workouts.  Then, make sure your easy days are real easy.  Some people even do only 3 workouts a week (i.e. Tues- tempo or hills, Thur- speed, Sat- long run), and say you can do pretty good just that way. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 03:16:53 pm »

Jon:

Make sure to not confuse "pretty good" and "reaching your potential". I ran a marathon at the age of 17 in 3:05:51 off 40 miles a week with the longest run ever being a half-marathon in 1:17:40. That was "pretty good", but not anywhere near my potential. Next year I tried a couple of months of 75 miles a week with long runs and tempos, this gave me 2:48:32. The times continued to improve as I reached deep to try to find a breakthrough. I would hit a plateau, do some research and experimentation, discover something that worked, then make another improvement. Almost without fail, everything that yielded fruit had something to do with moving away from the camp of "pretty good", "chill", "have fun" to the camp of "sacrifice","work hard", "live different".

You can run "pretty good" just off basketball and frisbee depending on how low you are willing to draw the line of "pretty good". If you want to reach your true potential, though, you need to train accordingly.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 03:19:22 pm »

Wait, I can be a pretty good runner just by playing frisbee everyday?!?  Awesome, count me in!
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »

Hello Tom,

I am dealing with these issues myself and agree with Sasha's advice - I would add that I try to get a massage (painful kind, not enjoyable kind) every two weeks.  I believe these types of massage will help all runners but particularly us "mature" ones.  I have only been running since I was a masters (older) runner, but Dean (my better half) is 48 and has been a competitive runner since jr high - he really notices a change in strength and ability to train at a high intensity and stay injury free.  Dean has been working on flexibility and it has enabled him to maintain a fairly high intensity (though he only runs once a day now).

There are many very good masters runners out there -- so it must be possible!!

Bonnie
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:47:57 pm »

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I'll try to incorporate the good advice into my training.

I'm especially liking the massage-every-2-weeks advice, although doggone those painful kind aren't always so fun. Couldn't I maybe sneak in a nice relaxing type every so often? That every 2 weeks could get a bit pricey though, hey Kim if you're reading I guess you're just going to have to go get trained and give me a massage every couple of weeks, Dr. Bonnie's orders.

On a more serious note I would like to hear from any Utah County folk any recommendations for a good massage therapist who understands what a runner would need. Where I work they had a pretty good one but just last week they decided to boot her out the door (cost cutting measures, ya know).
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 04:04:56 pm »

Just wanted to point out an article that came out in the New York Times today ... enjoy!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/health/nutrition/31BEST.html?ex=1359522000&en=a8dd3b54e6cd3191&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 04:37:58 pm »

Great article Bonnie. Gives me some hope that I still have a while to go with my own improvement before the aging effects start to be much of a factor. I especially like the part that said those of us who are start our running careers later in life can accomplish things we might not be able to had we been running all those younger years. This gives me hope and motivation that I might be able to see improving PRs still for quite a few more years yet. I'm almost looking forward to turning 45 in a couple of years and seeing if can be a serious contender in my age division! This 40-44 division I'm currently in is OK but too many just-turned-40 speedsters coming into the mix.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 02:07:42 pm »

Tom, I will be turning 40 this summer so I will be doing my first runs as a Master later this year.   For me, since I have recently taken up marathoning and competitive racing, my routine is still increasing.  I have been able to increase my base mileage and speed over the past couple of years so I am in the mode of maintaining this and/or increasing to keep the PR's coming.  I agree with all that has been said for someone coming into running later.  I posted some of the changes I made to my running in the "auto pilot" thread that have helped my get to the point that I am.   Your training has been great and improving since you joined the log, so keep it up.  I am still seeing improvements from the aspect that Jon indicated...solid base, easy recovery runs, hard hill workouts and some good tempo work in a weekly mix (which you could easily do with your base mileage).

Keep running strong.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 06:33:53 pm »

Oh man jtshad...so your turning 40, dang another speedster coming into my age division that can kick my fanny! I know Army runner is turning 40 here soon as well so I guess I better keep working hard to try and close the gap on you guys, OR I go to plan B which is to keep working hard, wait and turn 45 Smiley

Thanks for the advice. I really liked all the things you mentioned on the AutoPilot thread. You mentioned a number of things I've also worked on over the years and I few I hadn't heard about that I plan on trying out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: