Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 08:27:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: barefoot running makes the big time  (Read 21259 times)
Scott Ensign
Lurker

« on: January 27, 2010, 09:16:40 pm »

A research article on barefoot running by Dan Lieberman at Harvard just made the cover of the top scientific journal, Nature.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v463/n7280/edsumm/e100128-08.html
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v463/n7280/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8483401.stm

Seems to confirm what everyone has been discussing since Born to Run came out, but getting the work published in Nature is very high profile. I suspect running shoe manufacturers are going to be scrambling to catch up with vibrams five fingers as this gets more general exposure.

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:32:32 pm »

There was also an NPR segment on it this evening.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:42:45 am »

So who on this blog runs in them? Have you raced in them? Does anyone have anything bad to say about them?ANyone done a marathon in them? 100+ miles a week in them? Everything I read online is about recreational runners using them for everything from weightlifting, to jogging, to walking their dog. But do serious runners use them? People with pronation issues?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:55:56 am »

Here's the transcript of the NPR story I mentioned yesterday:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123031997

also

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123035045

I think it's important to note that while it may be "better" biomechanically to run barefoot, we can't forget that our running environment is virtually all pavement and asphalt. That is certainly not "natural". I'm not sure it's wise to combine something "natural" with something "unnatural". My personal opinion is that there is a time and a place for barefoot running during training, but I don't think it should be a 100% thing, unless you do 100% of your running on dirt or grass.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »

More, including posts by one of the paper authors:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3394529
Scott Ensign
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:47:14 pm »

I run in them. just two days a week though, but the rest mainly in minimal shoes.
I started on grass, then went to dirt,and am finally doing some miles on pavement (12-14 a week) with no problems. I have no doubt they improve biomechanics and strengthen the feet. But I wouldn't run one hundred miles a week in them. As Lieberman points out, they load the calves and achilles. When training for a fall marathon I switched back to cushioned shoes (last few weeks of training) when I started having calf problems from running in five fingers and flats. No problems until I did a 22 miler in a pair of asics hyperspeed flats. oops.
I love doing speedwork on the track in the five fingers- up to one mile intervals at a 5:40 pace, which is VO2 max for me. But your calves really feel it afterwards. I can run as fast or faster on the track in five fingers as I can in lightweight racing flats.
So my experience is- they are great for improving biomechanics and for strengthening feet and tendons. I am convinced they cured my shin splint/tibial tendon injury I got running in the heavy cushioned shoes the "experts" told me to run in last spring trying to train for a marathon. I made it to a fall marathon and PRed due to changing my shoes, landing pattern, and foot turnover rate. And they are really fun to run in. I don't trust ANYTHING sports medicine "experts" or orthotics manufacturers say. The only thing I trust is my personal experience. I guess that's because I am a scientist, and I do experiments.
I plan to increase my weekly mileage in them, maybe to 20 miles a week and see what happens. No way I would run 100 miles a week in them. But I don't really understand why anyone would want to run 100 miles a week in anything anyway. Too hardcore for me :-) I am just a recreational runner, though not too slow for a 48 year old. I'll do a 5K in them this spring and see what happens.
Read Aaron Kennard's blog- running barefoot changed his running life completely.
Aaron Kennard
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:23:07 pm »

Here's another similar article, maybe already referenced, in National geographic:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/01/100127-barefoot-running-better-impact/

I liked the discussion with the New Balance product engineer at the end.  I do love how it feels to run barefoot, and I feel like harder, smoother surfaces like roads and sidewalks are actually easier and more comfortable to run on than rough dirt surfaces.  But I don't think all of this hoopla leads to barefoot running for the masses.  I think it leads to a next generation of running shoes that let the foot behave in the way it was made to work.

Here's a link to my blog which I have recorded every run I have done barefoot and in FiveFingers. 
http://www.aaronkennard.com
It has changed everything for me.  But that doesn't mean that I think that only running barefoot or in FiveFingers is what its all about, I'm interested to find shoes to walk and run in that don't interfere with the natural movement of my feet.  FiveFingers are the best I have tried, but the only others I've tried are some New Balance 790's.  They would be great if they were a little wider for me.
Scott Ensign
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:23:25 pm »

If you are interested in foot landing patterns:
look at the second picture in this article, of the Tarahumura runner alongside Scott Jurek:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

Note how Arnulfo lands on his forefoot in his sandals while Jurek appears to heel strike in his cushioned trainers.

Then check these pictures of Jurek vs. Arnulfo:
http://www.allwedoisrun.com/scott_jurek.htm

Interesting he has an IT band wrap on his left leg where he is clearly heel striking indicating an IT or hip injury.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:05:19 pm »

After over a year of experimentation my conclusion is that the best shoes for running on pavement are clogs. At least for me. Five Fingers/barefoot was too thin. Racing flats too thick and awkward. Clogs just right. They can go as far as 700 miles, and you can find deals on them under $10. You need to find the right size, a little tight, so they will not fall off when you go fast, but not too tight. I was concerned about blisters, but with socks on I have not gotten any.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »

the wooden type?  Smiley
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 07:52:45 pm »

Do you mean Crocks, Sasha?
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:40:48 pm »

SO after my workout today I stopped by REI and tried on the pair of the Vibram Classics. They definitely feel different. I ran up and dow the aisles and they felt pretty good. I'm probably going to buy a pair but I'm not sure which pair to buy. Any recos?
Scott Ensign
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »

Sean, Aaron Kennard and I have the five finger sprints. The KSO has a little more coverage for adverse conditions.
The good thing about the sprint and KSO is the strap over the top of your foot. I have heard that the classic can get yanked off if you hit mud or something since nothing holds it on. So I would probably go with the sprint if i were you.
I probably would have gone a size up from what I got in retrospect (I got a 43, probably should have gotten a 44). But they are still confortable, and compatible with injinji toe socks for the cold days.
Good luck, I look forward to seeing how they work out for you. I am happy with mine, running two days a week. and they are really fun on the track in particular.
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:09:49 pm »

What I don't get about the whole "Barefoot Running" controversy is why is barefoot (I consider the Vibrim five fingers barefoot) the answer?  It sounds like the study and "Born to Run" itself advocate for a change in biomechanics.  Sounds like you would try to change your biomechanics and move towards more minimalist shoes that allow for easier forefoot striking.  But why go all the way barefoot?  Seems like the shoe is a pretty good idea.  Even the Tarahumara think so.  Shoes protect your feet from sharp edges and all sorts of other nastiness on the road.  I can see how some shoes try to do too much for you and that is counterproductive but shoes themselves have value.  I just don't get the whole barefoot or even the Five Fingers allure.  In the meantime I will try to improve my biomechanics and keep my feet shod.
Scott Ensign
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »

Jose, very good question. And I have no good answer. Except they are kind of fun to run in, especially on dirt, the track, and grass. I only run two days a week in the five fingers, with the intent to strengthen my foot muscles. I have no plans to run full time in them for the very reason that I don't think they have enough cushioning for high mileage, especially on pavement. I have a couple pairs of minimal shoes I like that I am doing most of my running in.
If I start training for another marathon I will stop wearing the five fingers completely again when I get up to the 60 mile a week range. or do a couple days a week of doubles where I only run 2-3 miles in the five fingers. they are a recipe for calf destruction if you're not careful.
Here in Logan Utah we have very few good areas for running in five fingers. When I was in San Marcos they had great packed dirt paths that were perfect for them. if we had those here I would run in the fives more.
Hey- too bad we didn't meet in Mesquite. that was quite a race, huh?  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: