Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 02:41:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we all going to end up arthritic and with bad knees from running?  (Read 5934 times)
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« on: September 21, 2009, 02:33:51 pm »

Ok, so it happened to me again.... another well-meaning good friend made a comment to me about how everyone that he knows that was a runner when they were younger ended up with really bad joints and knees as they got older and by their 50's or 60's were in need of knee replacement surgery, etc.  Non-runners LOVE to cite these types of examples (like how Jim Fix died from a heart attack despite all his running).   This does bother me from time to time because I have a limited number of case studies that come to mind of people who have been avid runners their whole lives and don't suffer from severe joint problems as early on as their 50's.  Hawk Harper (a great man and great runner) is one example of someone who has run 10's of thousands of miles and was also a great runner when he was younger and has had multiple knee surgeries that I am aware of..... Yet, he still manages to heal from the surgeries and continue running.  I know that he has been notorious for putting on insane miles even while injured... perhaps this had something to do with his problems now?  Beyond him, my frame of reference is somewhat limited.  Obviously, there are a limited number of people who are able to run well into their 70's or even 80's or beyond, but these examples are very rare.  They may just be genetic flukes.  Of course, the number of examples will be limited because there were a lot fewer runners before the 1960's, but does anybody have any insight about this? Do we just run and run, and when necessary get corrective joint surgeries and then run some more until we can't any more?  What do you think?  Are we going to be able to walk when we are 70?  Am I worrying myself over nothing?
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:43:02 pm »

I always say I'd rather have to replace my knees than my heart.

I don't buy the theory anyway. Most old people have bad knees. Runners and otherwise. I actually wrote a paper on this topic in college. There is plenty of research out there that actually shows that running prevents knee problems.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:16:07 pm »

I agree with Dallen. From my reading, I have understood that the evidence is inconclusive and that for many people running can prevent problems rather than cause them. I think a lot of doctors tell people to stop running and say their knees are permanently damaged when really all the runner needs is an orthotic or a shoe that is right for them (or some would say no shoes at all). But I would imagine there is a certain point (as with almost anything) where going to the extreme will have adverse effects.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:24:28 am »

I wasn't going to comment, but I received my monthly Health Newsletter from CPSI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) yesterday and it had a big article on arthritis.  The conclusion (based on lots of research from various places) is that running and physical activity DOES NOT ruin your knees.  In fact, the WORST thing for your knees/joints is to be overweight, so physical activity can greatly help reduce the chance of arthritis if it helps you lose weight.  Genetics also plays a factor.  One of these studies followed 250 runners who ran 2000-5000 miles per year for 40-50 years, which sounds like a pretty good study to me.

They also examined the use of glucosamine and chondroitin and found no conclusive results that they help your joints.

The one caveat is that if you already have arthritis, impact sports like running should likely be avoided, but low impact exercise can help.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38:36 am »

One thing for sure - we all are going to die whether we run or not. The question is when and how, and what we take with us.

Or maybe I should not be so sure about that. Christ might return soon enough. But the issue of what we have with us when He does return is still relevant.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:21:04 pm »

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, guys.  You have made me feel better. Smiley  I don't know why sometimes a let certain negative voices come into my head, but I suppose that it happens to all of us at times.  The funny thing is that even if I started to believe somebody who told me that I shouldn't run because it will ruin my joints and knees, I'm sure I'd keep doing it anyway because life without running or physical activity is HORRIBLE.  Besides that, whether or not I want to fully accept it, I will be a runner for life because I am addicted to it and couldn't live any other way. I don't know about you, but going even a few days without running or cycling or something drives me absolutely stir-crazy/insane and completely unpleasant to be around. Smiley
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »

Here is a great article from Stanford University on a long term study of a large group of runners.  http://med.stanford.edu/news_releases/2008/august/running.html

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Mark
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:44 pm »

"another well-meaning good friend made a comment to me about how everyone that he knows that was a runner when they were younger ended up with really bad joints and knees as they got older and by their 50's or 60's were in need of knee replacement surgery, etc." 
You could show him these studies in an effort to debunk his misconceptions:

Long Distance Running and Knee Osteoarthritis A Prospective Study - http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2556152

Changes on magnetic resonance tomography in the knee joints of marathon runners: a 10-year longitudinal study.  -  Changes on magnetic resonance tomography in the knee joints of marathon runners: a 10-year longitudinal study.

Does marathon running cause acute lesions of the knee? Evaluation with magnetic resonance imaging. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16528558?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

But ignorance is bliss, so maybe we just smile and nod when people say such things.   Undecided
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 08:49:18 am »

Thanks for the great articles, guys.  There sure are a lot of misconceptions out there about running!
Matthew Ricks
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:59:28 pm »

I just recently read this post, and thought I would add a few comments.

I have arthritis in knees. I am only 32 and have had arthritis for eight years. Since being diagnosed with arthritis, I have ran 17 marathons. Last year I ran my first 50k and first 50 miler, and I plan on running a 100 miler next year. I have found that running can actually improve arthritis. When I run it gets my blood flowing which helps reduce swelling and inflamation.

When a friend tells me that I will have arthritis when I'm old, I just laugh. In my case, they are exactly right. But that won't keep me from running or accomplishing my goals.

Things I have learned from Arthritis:
- Listen to your body. Some days, because of my arthritis, I cannot run. I didn't run Ogden Marathon this year for that reason.
- Trails and better than roads.
- Snow is awesome. A run in a couple inches of snow is great on the joints.
- If there is something that you are passionate about, you will find a way to do it, regardless of the obstacles that are placed in your way.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:01:08 pm by Matthew Ricks » Logged
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 12:47:17 am »

Well said. I especially like your last point.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 01:21:14 am »

Here ya go...
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: