Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 04:58:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandits  (Read 10210 times)
Cutika99
Lurker

« on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »

What are all y'all's thoughts on banditing races (i.e. running a race without paying for it).
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:54:50 pm »

I was running a 10-K this past weekend. There were policemen on the road for part of it. I saw one of them point to a runner, while he was running, and ask him if he had a number. The runner said, "no," and the policemen told him he couldn't run on the race course (road), that he had to go over on the sidewalk. That really surprised me. I had never seen this be enforced. The city was putting on the race (I think), so that's probably how they got the police to do that. I'm sure at most races it's not enforced.

I have to admit that a couple of times previously, I had run this same race as a bandit. I was glad I hadn't this time.

As far as whether it's the right thing to do or not...I'd say definitely not if you're using racing amenities (port-a-potties, water stops, etc.). Otherwise...hmmm...probably still not the right thing to do because the race organizers put all that effort into organizing it and setting up the venue...yes, it usually is on a public road, but it still seems a little shady. Like I said, I've done it in the past. But now I'd say it's best to err on the side of the gray area where you don't have to worry (i.e. not being a bandit).
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:58:43 pm »

At my races you do not have to worry about this problem :-)
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:23:59 pm »

I have bandited more races than I can count (I bandited a race this weekend), but I make sure that the impact of my "bandit tendencies" makes the least amount of impact possible.  I typically don't bandit if I can sign up the day of registration without a huge penalty, but I bandit races that are closed to registration all the time.  I think it is ridiculous to have to pay six months in advance to run a race not knowing if you can be there or even in good running shape or what will be going on your life six months from now.  However, regardless of my reasons, I believe that banditing should be done with certain amount of "grace."  I think that all bandits should pretty much abide by the following rules:

1. Don't go through the chute at the end because it screws things up for the race director.  I typically will run off the course a ways before the finish and finish up elsewhere so as to not intrude or screw up the finishing order.  I've gone through the chute a couple of time and quickly ducted under the tape in order to avoid discovery but this should be avoided as much as possible.

2. Don't eat the food or drink the beverages (I might vary from this a little bit if I am running a marathon, which I have bandited a couple.)

3. Try to be like a ghost and as inconspicuous as possible, chances are nobody will even know you were there.

Following these rules I have never had a problem banditing races. I've never had anybody say anything to me ever. I have even camped out on a few race courses near the starting line so I would be there bright and early! Smiley

Benjamin "El Santo de los bandidos"
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »

No wonder why some races go broke...

Come on guys, pay up or don't race. If you think its too expensive, then find another. There are plenty of races. Some are even free, like Sasha's.

Don't be cheap...
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:57:33 am »

If we want to "participate" in a cause/sport/activity that we believe in, we need to give as well as take.

That means volunteering with someone else's event, perhaps (or hosting your own), teaching lessons/coaching kids, whatever it may be. At the very least it means when participating in someone else's event, you care enough to buy the T-shirt, pay the cover charge, etc.

I used to be an amateur dance competitor ... nightclubs/bars would host events, bring in bands or DJs, have dedicated nights of the week for specific dance music, competitions, etc. But the dancers themselves would take advantage of the nice venue, not buy drinks or food, not tip the staff, and basically "sponge" off the work of others while they enjoyed the venue.  Then one by one the nightclubs/bars stopped hosting the events and we no longer had a variety of places to dance. The whole scene died.

I see a lot more of this behavior with young people who are (like I was!) broke or just have much lower incomes than working professionals/adults. I used to get angry that every event I went to had a $10 cover charge when I had a hard time scraping up $10 to put gas in my car to last until the next payday... so I can relate. I used to get around this by giving dance lessons (paying with my labor, basically) or volunteering my time in other ways. In other words, I was contributing to building the scene, spending time instead of money (at some points in our lives, we have an abundance of one or the other, which we can put to use).

Being a "sponger" is not something to aspire to. "Bandit" is a trying-too-hard-to-be-cool name for what people know deep down is an unethical activity ... just sneaking into the movies or through the back door without paying. In the plainest terms, it is selfish.

bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 11:34:55 am »

I fail to see how it is unethical for me to bandit a race if it is closed to registration (they won't take my money) and all I do is run the course and not even go through the chute at the end?  I have no problem paying for races if I'm allowed to pay.  I used to bandit in college when I had no money and I can see why that could be considered unethical (I'm older and more conservative now haha.) 

The only reason why I bandit now is if I'm not allowed to run the race because of closed registration.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:45:42 am »

You should plan your races with time. Not wait for the race day to register.

The people organizing a race normally have to pay for the right to do the race, for the people who work during the race, the policemen that close of street, for the water, etc.

If the registration is closed, than look for another. The reason to close a registration is because the limit of runner has been reached, and adding more would put the runners in risk.

Thats the problem with bandits, they don't "see" the ethical side of things.

jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:39:22 pm »

If you don't want to, or can't (because registration is closed) pay to run an organized race, then pick a different place to run that morning...pretty simple.   Mooching to run the venue doesn't help the sport.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

There was a trail race in Wash DC that was cancelled the day of the race this year because the Forest Service determined there were too many runners, that there were more runners than permitted.  As a result, everyone who legitimately paid to run didn't get to, thanks to a few bandits.  If race registration is closed, there is a reason, usually safety or permits. 

I know it stinks to pay for a race months in advance and then not be able to run.  It's happened to me, and seems like a waste.  But that is a very well known item in running.  If you don't like it, you can do a race with late (and possibly higher) registration, or you can miss out on a race that closes.  Those are the realities.

If you were a race director, how would you feel if someone bandited your race?  Most of them do it cause they love and support running, and don't make (much) money off it.  Support the races.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 01:33:30 pm »

Back about 12 years ago here in Utah we had a lot of races that cost $5 or less with no shirt. Somehow the race directors managed to pull it off. Nowadays, a race under $20 is considered cheep. What happened?

Races have become parties.  A course, a clock, and some competition are no longer enough for your average runner. He wants frills. A simple course is too boring, so lots of roads need to be closed or at least monitored by police. He need to be motivated with a band at the finish or even mid-race. He wants  a DJ that will announce his name when he crosses the finish line. He wants doughnuts and ice cream at the end. He wants a finisher medal. There needs to be a raffle. He wants a nice looking shirt. If something goes wrong he might sue the race director. There is a little bit of the perceived value aspect as well - some race directors will keep the entry fee higher for that reason. Availability of credit makes people more willing to pay inflated prices, you can always charge $30 on a credit card and hope to pay it off later some time even when you do not have it in your budget. All of those things add up, and we have no more simple races.

All of this stuff adds up to the point where your average college student or somebody who is barely out of school, or somebody who has just had tough luck with jobs, who will not live off borrowed money cannot afford to race very much. So in essence what is happening is that people with disposable income due to the laws of market are altering the running scene and are starting to push those without out of the competitive aspect of the sport. This is ridiculous, something as simple as running is becoming a sport for the rich, or shall we say the rich and those willing to act rich. This is not good for a number of reasons, and needs to be fixed.

dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 01:58:30 pm »

My family just participated in a run last evening that costed $2 each (I didn't run, but was there to encourage and cheer).  There are other stripped down races in our area that I've participated in over the past year for minimal costs- $7, $5, $2, + one race with a suggested donation.  Thank God for these low-cost experiences, they were simple and yet still fun.  However, I'm not ready to bash the races with "bells" and "whistles".  Our local road race this past June provided numerous bands, a t-shirt, meatball sandwiches (ummm...good!), children races, celebrities (2 former Boston marathon winners), intercom encouragement (the guy called me the "Rockness Monsta"...cool!), and 50% of the community in attendance or participating (in a town of 8,000)...all for $20 and worth every cent.  Were there a few bandits...yes.  I know many of the organizers and they have no problem overlooking them...in fact, would probably give them a "comp" if $$ was a legitimate issue.  At the same time, I feel good contributing the $20, so that our town (runners and non-runners) can enjoy and celebrate a true community event.  If it wasn't for this event (I entered for the first time 3 years ago), I would not presently be a runner. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 02:12:07 pm »

I agree, Sasha, that many races are overdone and it is unfortunate they are becoming so expensive.  But maybe it's not all bad if it gets more people to run.  I personally love it when races stay inexpensive or offer no t-shirt options.  Like you, Dave, I like supporting inexpensive races.  There is a 10k near me that offers a $5 no t-shirt, no-award entry, or a $20 t-shirt and award, and I do the $5 every time. 

But it is up to the race director to set the price, not us.  Our choice is to run it at the price the RD sets, or not run the race.  Or support less expensive races, if you want.  Bandit just doesn't seem right to me.  It's like computer programs- you can pay a lot for Microsoft, you can use Linux, or you can choose to not own a computer.  But pirating Microsoft isn't right.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:37 pm »

Bandit is being cheap in my book. Bandits = pirating.

And yes, if you don't like big expensive races, do the simple, cheap or free ones. Period.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 10:34:00 am »

Obviously Banditing is not the ethical high ground.

HOwever, I did once bandit a race and feel good about it. It was a half marathon is Chicago a few years ago. Put on by the infamous John "Penguin" Bingham of runnersworld fame. A fellow blogger from Arizona won airfare and entry to the race from another of the Penguin's races. The great Penguin then failed to provide the airfare as promised. I had planned to do the race with my blogger friend, but I now was not going to give any money to the Penguin so I proudly bandited the race. I put a detailed post on my blog and a different fellow blogger forwarded it to the Penguin himself. The end result was a public apology to my friend. My only regret is that I didn't chew out the Penguin in person after the race.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: