Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 02:31:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Sub-3:00 SGM group  (Read 41430 times)
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2008, 04:19:32 pm »

(and Paul and I think Tom as well, based on his blog), and will be planning on hitting the half at about 1:32 (1:31:30-1:32).
Having raced with Paul and Tom and knowing how they run I'm sure they are sandbagging and will be closer to 1:29 at the half.  I'm really going to force myself to start slower than I would like because I really want to feel good at the end of my last marathon.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2008, 04:31:58 pm »

Yes, I just called St George Running Center and put in a request for a singlet. The store will be closed on Friday 'cause they will be at the expo. If you call them, they will set one aside for you to pick up at the expo.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2008, 04:35:27 pm »

Andy you're probably remembering Striders 1/2 when I was doing a bit of an "experiment", purposely going out at a pace that was very aggressive for me, making the last 1/2 of the race pretty miserable as I recall. But after the looking back at all my good vs. bad races I see that in every one of my PR races other than 5K distance I've done better going out conservative the first 1/2. So I really, truly do intend (really I do!) at hitting the 1/2 way point in the 1:31-1:32 range. Especially with the way I've felt on my recent runs and being semi-injured over the summer I think if I go out any faster and I'll be in big, big trouble. I may be in big trouble anyway but I figure I at least have to give sub-3 a shot.

Also I'm not sure if you're talking about Paul T or Riverton Paul, but I'm pretty sure Paul T is commited to going out similarly conservative. Although he did go a little crazy on his Provo marathon in the spring on lesser training and started out fast but the results weren't pretty. So I'm pretty sure that Paul will stick to his guns, at least through the 1/2 way point.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2008, 04:41:03 pm »

Paul VK will be going conservative as well, hoping for that magical negative split.
Paul Thomas
Lurker

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2008, 05:18:06 pm »

So, Tom, what's wrong with my 18 minute positive (is that the right term, it was anything but positive) split at the Utah Valley Marathon this spring? I was averaging 7:20/mi at the half and ended up running 9:30/mi at the end. Is there something wrong with that? I happen to enjoy gradually getting slower starting about halfway through and finally running the last 6 miles with my legs burning and struggling to take each step.

Actually, Tom's quite right. I do not want to repeat that experience. I plan to follow the more successful strategy I ran at SG last year: 1:35:33 + 1:31:29 = 3:07:02 (4:04 negative split). For 3:00:00, that would be 1:32 + 1:28. I'm pretty committed to that plan.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2008, 05:45:53 pm »

So, Tom, what's wrong with my 18 minute positive (is that the right term, it was anything but positive) split at the Utah Valley Marathon this spring? I was averaging 7:20/mi at the half and ended up running 9:30/mi at the end. Is there something wrong with that? I happen to enjoy gradually getting slower starting about halfway through and finally running the last 6 miles with my legs burning and struggling to take each step.

I Think the most enjoyable part of that was being passed by me.  Now he is forever haunted Wink
Paul Thomas
Lurker

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:52 pm »

I Think the most enjoyable part of that was being passed by me.  Now he is forever haunted Wink

Yes, Josse, in every race since then I have been worried about you passing me. I guess I shouldn't have worried. After finishing ahead of you in so many races since then, I've decided that must have been an anomaly and you're not capable of beating me again. I don't even give it a thought anymore (twitch twitch). If it makes you happy, though, you can go ahead and try to beat me at SG. I'll cheer you in at the finish. Wink

(There, that ought to get her competitive juices flowing.) Smiley
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:05 pm »

Hi, um, count me in on this sub 3 group.  This will be my first marathon so I really need some pacing help and Jon and Cody suggested that I run with y'all. 
Oh, and dumb question...do you have to be on a "racing team" or whatever to go buy a FRB singlet?  just curious...I wanna be cool too!  Anyway, will look for y'all in the corral.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:17 pm »

Hi, um, count me in on this sub 3 group.  This will be my first marathon so I really need some pacing help and Jon and Cody suggested that I run with y'all. 
Oh, and dumb question...do you have to be on a "racing team" or whatever to go buy a FRB singlet?  just curious...I wanna be cool too!  Anyway, will look for y'all in the corral.
Anybody can wear the singlet.  I think that you have much better than a sub 3 in you.  Since this is your first marathon maybe you can start with us to avoid going out too fast then take off after 3 or 4 miles.
Josse

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2008, 10:06:51 pm »

Joe are you sure you are not looking for the sub-2:45 group?  You have some pretty fast racing time.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2008, 10:26:36 pm »

Well, my training has been less than I was hoping during the last month or so due to sickness and a big change of scenery and school, plus this is my first and I have no idea what to expect.  My plan is to run the first half at least very conservatively with the 3 hour group and save energy, then sometime after that see if I can take off and negative split the last half.  I really don't know what I'm doing so I'm taking as much advice as possible and just seeing what I am capable of.  (oh, and most of those prs were in high school before my mission so I'm a tad slower now...)
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08:42 am »

There's some folks in this sub-3:00 group (such as Marcie) who are clearly going to be breaking 3:00 by alot, barring a leg break or other bizzarro occurrence.  Others are just trying to squeak under 3:00.  So Joe should be fine since the group will break into subgroups after a few miles.  (Just hang with the short blondie Smiley ).
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:38 am »

Joe, you've got enough talent and speed I think you would be fine hanging with the 2:45 group, though you might want to go out a little slower since it is your first marathon.  The last two years I've gone out right around 1:23.  In 06 I only ran the second half like 10 seconds faster.  Last year I ran the second half 1:15 or so faster and I felt terrible the second half (dealing with lots of hip pain).  I'm still not sure what the plan will be for me this Saturday, I guess I might just wait and see how I feel once the race starts.
Josse

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:05 am »

Everybody....take a deep breath.....breath....just race by feel and you will be fine.   We can only control certain thing and most of it is out of our control.  I think it is good to have a plan but knowing that it will most likely change due to cercumstances beyond our control.  We are all going to ROCK!
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2008, 10:32:19 am »

Josse - I think that the reason why we stress so much about pacing strategy is because it is the one thing that we have control over on race day.  I agree that the best strategy is to go completely by feel.  My best races have been when I didn't care about my finish time and just went out and had a good time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: