Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 03:33:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Marathon registration closed  (Read 17746 times)
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 02:37:01 pm »

Here is my take on Boston. 16 months ago when I started running I had no clue what 'Boston' was. I started preparing to run the St. George Marathon and had hoped to run it under 6 hours. I had friends tell me I could make 4:30 and I laughed. Shortly before the marathon I could see that my times were improving and that 4 hours could be possible, maybe even as low as 3:30 (my BQ time) That is really my first exposure to Boston.

I ran the marathon and was humbled by the experience and what it takes to complete the first one. From that point on my goal, my quest, was to obtain the Boston Qualifier time. I started using 'Irish Spring' soap to remind me of my goal....I know, kind of stupid but you do what works for you. Okay fast forward... I finally achieved my goal on my 6th marathon ( Mesquite). You cannot imagine the joy I felt when I saw my time and I had beat my BQ time by 7+ minutes. I am going to Boston in 2011!

I can now look back on those 16 months of training, hurting, sweating and sacrificing my time for this goal. Did it make me a better runner? YES Did it make me a better person? YES I feel that having that goal out there of Boston has allowed me to dig deep into myself and learn how to be strong, to not give up no matter what.

I think everyone's experiences, focus in life are different. I give to the poor and needy. I give of my time to others in need. I spend quality time with my family.

In running the local marathons I have developed wonderful experiences. None of which I would change. Boston will be another one of those great experiences. I will continue to help others and hopefully inspire my friends and neighbors that they can accomplish major goals in their lives. Boston may not be the goal for them...it just happened to be for me, this goal has helped me put some focus on something that pushed me to be better in many ways and to appreciate life in a way I had never experienced.
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 04:02:41 pm »

Right on!  Good post and I liked your input.  I haven't qualified, but it is a goal I am working toward.  I'll hopefully come to the "should I stay or should I go" dilemma sooner rather than later. 

I think it's all about balance in your life.  Tomorrow morning, I'll be out the door in very cold temperatures, before the sun comes up, so I can get in my long run before having to tend to some family obligations.  Balance. 

I enjoyed reading all of the posts and numerous points discussed.  We do live in a great country where we can open and honestly discuss and debate.  For that we should always be thankful!

Later!
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 11:33:12 pm »

This post is going to win the most replies reward.  Boston is really a great experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: