Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 12:13:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Marathon registration closed  (Read 17749 times)
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 03:20:57 pm »

I qualified for Boston at St George this year and have been debating if I would run boston.  I quess it being closed made up my mind for me.  I don't think I would of been able to afford to go for 2010.  I am hoping next year 2011, I will have enough money saved up that I will be able to go. 

I think the discussion about if we should spend the money to 'have and experence' in insane.  It is the same logic as telling your kids to eat everything on there plate because people in some poor country is starving.  My kid eating doesn't help the poor kid.  We should try to help people in need.  But if I choose to go to Boston I am not hurting the poor person.  I hope will be a great experience.

On a related topic:  If some one is able to go to Boston, what are some of the things that people should try to do while there, other then the marathon because that is a given.   Should you sight see before or after the marathon.

jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 03:47:10 pm »

Matt, lots of good stuff to do!  Enjoy awesome seafood, walk the Freedom Trail, try to catch a Sox game, visit the JFK library, visit the Sam Adam's brewery, go to Harvard or MIT, walk along the Charles River, visit the Boston Common, visit the North End (Modern Bakery for cannoli's...yum!), catch a show, visit the museums/aquarium, shop, etc. 

I highly recommend most of all walking the Freedom Trail after the marathon...great way to see the history of the city and have some easy recovery after the run (except for climbing the stairs in the Bunker Hill monument, that was hard). 

Boston WILL be a great experience for you!
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:34 pm »

I went to Boston in 2007 and enjoyed every minute of it.  I even paid to watch a Redsox game that got canceled because of the terrible storm that weekend.  The only regret  I have is not spending more money.  I didn't take my family because of the expense... I just went.  I didn't buy very much merchandise because of the expense.  Now I regret not spending more money to take the family and buy more items  because it would have been a more worthwhile experience.  Just to see my kids face to see the Boston Red Sox historical stadium would have been worth the whole trip.

We work hard to have a few enjoyments in life, and if you tithe giving back to God than why not spurge on the family.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:10:48 pm by Kory Wheatley » Logged
Jody Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 08:47:52 pm »

Matt - I agree with Jeff and Kory.  It is an absolutely amazing experience.   The Freedom Trail is definitely worth the time.  We wend to a Red Sox game which was great.   Try to take in as much of everything as you can because nothing else will ever compare.   I rushed through the expo because I hate them but regret it.  I wish I would have spend a more time there.    I also recommend reading  26 miles to Boston as well as some historical books prior to going.  That will help make the experience even better.
Superfly

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 08:50:29 pm »

Go to Boston. Best running choice you'll ever make.
Sasha your always complaining about the bad things in America... if you don't like so many things about it just go back to Russia. If I moved to England and then always complained about how that country was I'd just go back home.
jtshad

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 08:08:34 am »

One other thing Matt...make your hotel reservations NOW!  Try to stay as close to downtown as possible to enjoy the city, have an easier time getting around (foot and "T") and stay in the center of all the activity!
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 11:28:44 am »

Matt - I agree with Jeff.  I made the mistake of staying outside of Boston and taking the subway in Boston and that really wasn't fun.  Especially when your by yourself.  Plus the convenience of being downtown close is worth the extra money.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 02:13:47 pm »

Sasha your always complaining about the bad things in America... if you don't like so many things about it just go back to Russia. If I moved to England and then always complained about how that country was I'd just go back home.

Well said, Clyde.  Sasha- we appreciate your running wisdom.  But, as Jeff said, taking a nice post discussing Boston and hijacking it in order to lecture everyone on what we do incorrectly (IN YOUR OPINION) is not appreciated.  Please don't be critical of us.  Please stop.  It is unrighteous dominion.

Sasha, if Boston is so unimportant, than why does your blog have a Boston Marathon Qualifier page of its own, plus why do you constantly encourage everyone to BQ?  It is an arbitrary time obviously correlated to one race.  You could just as easily set a 3 hour goal for everyone, rather than encouraging them to BQ.  By referring to Boston, even you give it some degree of importance beyond just "running the standard."  And if you ask people who have run the race, most will tell you they enjoyed it and had a good experience.

PLEASE STOP CRITICIZING PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO RUN BOSTON!!!  And please stop criticizing everyone's priorities and for how they spend their time and money.  It is not your place to judge them, no more so than it is someone else's place to judge you for how much time you "waste" running rather than serving others, spending time with your family, reading scriptures, etc.  We should all worry about ourselves and not worry/criticize how other people live.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:20:08 pm by Jon Allen » Logged
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 07:13:13 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions and will have to try and requister as soon as it opens for 2011.  I look forward to the trip.
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 08:49:35 am »

Well it is a good thing that I wasn't planning on 2010. I have been fighting all year to get my BQ and I finally got it Saturday. I for one cannot wate to go to Boston. I did not grow up running, I just started 16 months ago. Even with that I WANT to go to Boston! That is what has driven me to work hard and put the miles in so that I could qualify. If Boston wasn't out there I would have stepped back and not had goal out there for me to chase.
For me it is not so much the race.....it is all the hard work to get qualified. The reward is just being there, the tradition.
I WILL BE IN BOSTON IN 2011....Who is going to be there with me?Huh
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 02:05:00 pm »

I'll be running Boston for my 4th year in a row this year, and I love going.  There is nothing quite like being in a big city full of quality marathoners.  Everyone is so friendly and excited.  I always meet so many nice people from all over the place.  I agree with the person who said to take your time at the expo and go ahead and make those impulse buys.  I took my whole family the first year and that was a trip our family will never forget.  And it is definitely worth the extra money to stay downtown near the finish and expo and everything that is going on.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »

Matt - making your kids eat everything on your plate is a very good idea. Mine do. Not because somebody in Africa will have more food, but to express thanks for the food you have, and to remember those who do not. Then maybe those people in Africa will have more food after all because you will think of them more often and do what you can to help.

Jon - you must have forgotten that this site runs out of my basement, that I pay for the bandwidth, the hardware, and that I have put in a lot of hours to make it. If you had not, you would not have used the word "hijack". You cannot hijack something you own. Yes, I do have the right to express my opinion on my site, even if it contracts the opinion of everybody else.  Everybody else is a guest, do not forget that. Those who do not like such terms of service are welcome to leave and use Facebook to log their miles.

The reason I encourage people to qualify for Boston is that it is about the only thing somebody who is not an exceptionally gifted runner can qualify for. That does not mean I encourage people to actually go to Boston. An idiot can go - just put the plane ticket, and hotel on the credit card, and go. Qualifying is a different story.

Clyde - America has problems, Russia has more problems. The reason America has problems is that Americans are forgetting the source of their power. The reason Russia has more problems is that they have flat denied the source of that power 82 years ago. If America keeps drifting away from its core values (that being faith and service, not mind-numbing TV shows and fast food), it will have more problems, eventually more than Russia.
Superfly

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 08:53:13 pm »

Sasha you may own it but you have asked for donations and have received donations before in the past... I'd say if your going to fundraise you should keep an open mind to your donors.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 08:23:30 am »

Thanks for the reminder to backup my blog to .csv. I'd hate to lose all that data if Sasha shuts down the site.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 10:57:19 am »

This is actually great.  This is the beauty of the United States.  Our soldiers fought for this freedom--the freedom to voice an opinion without going to jail or being beaten or being killed.  Sasha and everyone else on the blog can voice an unpopular opinion without imprisonment.  It reminds me of the time my husband was at a festival recruiting for the army and there where a bunch of protestors there holding signs and chanting.  A lot of the soldiers were beginning to get upset but then David went over and had his picture taken with the protestors.  He told them this is why he went to war--so the protestors had the freedom to to do what they were doing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: