Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 03:35:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Marathon registration closed  (Read 17751 times)
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« on: November 16, 2009, 01:32:24 pm »

Just saw this on the web, I don't recall Boston ever closing this early.  Hope all the bloggers that were thinking of running got in!

Boston Marathon Registration by The Numbers
Boston Marathon registration closed on November 13, 2009 for the April 19, 2010 race (157 days early), compared to January 25, 2009 for the April 20, 2009 race (85 days early). We know many who were caught unaware by the earlier closing and many who were still hoping to qualify via races later in the year. According to the race website, the event will accept 25,000 registrants - the same as the stated number for 2008 (which yielded nearly 23,000 finishers). Beyond the open registration, the Boston Marathon has available charity registrations and reserves additional registrations - MarathonGuide.com estimates that somewhere over 6,000 registrations remain available through the alternate methods. MarathonGuide.com did a quick analysis of the numbers and here are some facts about the registrants on the day open registration closed:
By Country: USA (84%), Canada (12%), UK (1%), Mexico (1%)
Largest States: MA (8%), CA (8%), NY (6%), ON (6%), IL (6%)
Average Age: Overall - 42.2; Female - 39.4 (43%), Male 44.4 (57%)

Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »

I wasn't planning on going this coming year, but I'll keep this in mind for 2011 for sure.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:21:24 pm »

Well, I guess that made my spring racing plans a little easier, no more debating about Boston ;-)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:34:27 pm »

Whoa!  I got my hotel registration a couple weeks ago, but didn't apply for Boston until this past week.  Had no idea it would fill this early!
Scott Ensign
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:54:03 pm »

well, that kind of ruined my day. and week. and spring plans. oh well. thanks for letting us know though.
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »

I'm glad I took that message the BAA sent out about things filling up fast seriously and signed up when I did.  I'd of been bummed if I didn't get to go.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 10:16:34 pm »

That's early, but I had no plans to run this year or probably again.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 02:26:39 pm »

Somehow this topic reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain. A friend of his stated that he wanted to visit Mount Sinai in his lifetime and read the Ten Commandments. To which Mark Twain replied - "why don't you stay home and keep them?"

The glory of running Boston is not in the trip to Boston. Anybody with $1000 to spare can hop on the plane and get there. The glory is in having run the standard. It is unfortunate that the only way to recognize men who broke 3:10 and women who broke 3:40 currently available is to have them run another marathon far away at their own not so small expense. We need something else.

How about a discount on the entry fee to a local marathon? I have suggested this idea to Hyrum, he liked it. Or maybe a guaranteed entry into a local marathon that fills up? Or maybe a discount on health insurance?
jtshad

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:38:47 pm »

Understand your perspective, Sasha, but actually running Boston is truly a great experience.  I am glad to have run it twice and using the trip as a reason to take in the history of a very interesting city and part of our American heritage.    So, yes obtaining the BQ is the real accomplishment, but just because I choose to use my time and money to run this race and enjoy myself, please don't begrudge me of my ability to make this choice. 
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:28:17 pm »

I respect Sasha, but totally disagree.  The Boston experience for me was worth every penny. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:40:34 pm »

Haven't we been through this before?  With 2 full pages of comments?  It seems like Sasha still sticks with his opinion, and everyone else pretty much disagrees with him.  I think it's because most people view Boston and running in general as an enjoyable experience, while Sasha looks at how it would benefit him (prize winnings) versus expense.

http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,423.0.html

I've clearly stated my opinion on the previous post, which is why I'm not saying anything else on this one.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:56:33 pm »

No, Jon - it is much more than just prize winnings. It is more of a question of perspective.

When I came to America 16 years ago one of my impressions of the country  could have been described as "the land of overpriced experience". I watched people spend the equivalent of my parents' life time savings on some sort of "experience" which in all honesty could have been obtained without such extravagance if you got good at learning from what you have on hand. 

We keep talking about global poverty, yet we keep spending thousands of dollars on "experiences". If we invested half of our "experience" money into a micro-loan program like Kiva, the global poverty would be gone.
jtshad

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:30 am »

Sasha, once again you took an innocent posting on racing and turned it into an opportunity to tell others how they live their life incorrectly.  I go to church and believe that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior, I tithe, I give to global relief funds, I volunteer in my community, I teach Sunday school, I work hard and earn my pay (as a federal employee/public servant), I spend time with my family.   I give back to the world around me and DESERVE the right to spend my time and my hard earned money the way I choose and on the "experiences" of my choice.   Please refrain from telling me the things I choose to do (which cause harm to no one) are wrong choices and how I choose to experience life is bad. 

You are being so hypocritical in your statements as well.  You advocate that society should/must provide money for the "poor athletes" to have to training so they can run more...why not apply all that funding to the "micro-loan" program instead of paying them to have "running experiences"?    Why do you advocate having to give prize money to winners of local races instead of just running for the "experience" and giving all the proceeds/winnings to local charities?   

I guess then that you would choose not to go the Olympic Trials if you do run the standard because just running a 2:19 is good enough?  Why then do we even send athletes to the Olympics if just getting the standard is good enough?

Maybe it is a question of perspective and yours is not the only one everyone should live by.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:10:52 am by jtshad » Logged
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 12:00:56 pm »

The beauty of America is the opportunity for "experiences".  When I qualified for Boston, I could have just put a nice certificate on a wall and felt proud of myself for the hard work put towards this particular "accomplishment".  When I decided to actually run in Boston, I could have done it the most cost-effective way and made a day trip of it on my own.  The "experience" I chose to take was bringing wife and 6 children, staying in a hotel for almost a week, dropping $$ on a Red Sox game, and having the absolute time of my life.  Yes, I did go site-seeing, walked around way too much, went out a little too late with friends and family, even preached for a buddy who planted a small church in a nearby community, and probably sacrificed a few minutes off of my potential race time...who cares?!  It was a worthwhile investment (I paid less for the actual marathon than some folks pay for "Vibram Fingers").  My family had a wonderful experience!!  I still was able to fulfill my annual tithe, sponsor our overseas child, raise support and visit Uganda, and participate in numerous mission "experiences" throughout the year (as well as drive 1,000 miles to go to the beach, send my children to "6 flags", splurge at the "Cheesecake Factory", and take my wife to a way too experience dinner here and there). 

We all have our priorities.  If running Boston's a dream and you have the opportunity/resources to do it, without sacrificing current obligations or putting undue stress on your work or family, by all means- go for it!! 

Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 12:07:11 pm »

My take is the Boston Experience is just that something you have to experience to appreciate.  If you want to stay home and race local, save some money and have your own "Virtual Boston Experience", then have fun with that.

I went to Boston a few years ago don't even remember how much I paid for everything, doesn't matter I paid it off.  True I could have stayed home invested the money, gave it to charity, and made sure my kids were well feed.  But I chose to take my wife on a trip and we had a great time.  I had just as much fun learning about our country's history by visiting actual locations as I did running in the race.

I guess it all comes back to a person's perspective.

I spent some money over the summer and took the whole family to Hawaii.  Now I could have just taken them to the Great Salt Lake and said "Here is your Hawaii Experience" Sure they could have swam in salt water, sat on the beach, and had a great time just like they did in Hawaii but would they really be getting the Hawaii Experience.

To experience something you have to undergone or live through an event or circumstance.

So I really don't read much into comments made by people that have never had the experience even if it is an overpriced experience.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: