Fast Running Blog
May 09, 2024, 05:18:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Can humans run an antelope to death?  (Read 21897 times)
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 03:51:29 pm »

Alright!!!  It's a throwdown!!

Man Votes: 2 (maybe 3 with Dallen)
Beast Votes: 1 (maybe 2 with Jon)

Voice your opinion people!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 04:00:23 pm »

No, I'm voting man.  There may be a few, specialized exceptions, but I think humans would win most races over very long distances.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 04:04:07 pm »

Alright, wise choice Jon.  I always knew you were schmart.

Man Votes: 3
Beast Votes: 1

Does Mr. Pachev have some voting button functionality in this web-site?
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 12:25:32 am »

ok...my vote is not beast. my vote is siberian husky.

unless you think you can run 111 miles each day for 9 days straight....that's why i picked it.

come on, there has to be someone who agrees with this!?!?!   Undecided
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 07:14:06 am »

There may be a few, specialized exceptions

Allie- I think that may be one of my exceptions.  Siberian huskies on snow in the cold.  Not heat.  However, their human companion typically runs most of the race, too, only riding on the sled occasionally.  So in some ways, the human can come close to keeping up.  Huh
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 08:03:07 am »

yes, i agree with the heat element. dogs start panting too hard in the heat...inefficient. fur coat doesn't help much either.

i know i personally would not survive running through the snow and the cold for nine days. so they win. but say we race DesNews in the middle of July...i win.  Cheesy

so i guess this means
husky: 1
human: 0
&
husky: 0
human: 1
tie!

another stamina-inclined animal that comes to mind are the pack mules that travel up and down the switchbacks of the grand canyon or havasupai. they are very slow, but they are able to carry tons of extra weight, in the heat, for many miles on steep terrain. probably still wouldn't win, but they are tough ones!

Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 08:46:27 am »

My order.

1. Husky
2. Human
3. Antelope
4. Pit Bull
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 09:25:17 am »

5. three-legged chiuaua

(there is one on 8th east in SLC...it WILL chase, but it won't catch you)
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 03:54:09 pm »

Kangaroo: Top Speed about 35 mph, cruising speed 13-16 mph, sustained distance at cruising speed approximately 20 miles. That's anywhere from a sustained 3:45/mile pace to a 4:37/mile pace.

Kangaroo: 1
Human: 0
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 09:29:54 pm »

Ok, seriously folks, if you put a human against an animal and had them move for as long as possible do you really think the animal would endure longer???  There is absolutely no way!  Sure the animal could travel farther from the git go, but I'm talking days upon days of endurance (recall the HS track scenario).  As far as I know (which isn't a hell of whole lot), human distance records surpass those of any land animal.  Keeping in mind that humans can travel with minimal sleep and fuel while moving.  Even the two legged kangaroo can't overcome those elements and would die from exhaustion.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 07:30:56 am »

Its a balance of distance versus speed. You're now simply talking about what animal can maintain movement over the longest period of time, regardless of speed. This is our evolutionary gift and what has allowed us to maintain dominance over pray that is usually faster, stronger, sharper, etc than us. Those things taste better than a tree sloth. Of course, we're talking on land. If we're going to level the playing field a bit I'd love to hear some sort of comparative analysis on human endurance capacity versus the artic tern (60-70 miles a day average over the course of a year) or the swimming capacity of the grey whale (25 miles/day over the course of a year). Even artic caribou don't do bad averaging 8 miles/day (they're the land migration champs). I don't know too many people who travel 8 miles/day on foot. We don't because we don't need to anymore. Which begs the question. Over time, are we going to begin to lose our ability to maintain endurance foot speed as we need it less and less?
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 07:42:05 am »

Jeff - Yes, I agree.  The caveat was "over land" because all other avenues don't fit us biomechanically.  Anyway, you already realize this and more importantly point out that many humans are simply lazy and probably couldn't keep up with land animals in a golf cart!  Do you think our mental and physical programming for endurance is the "gift" Pre was referring to in his famous quote?
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 02:32:58 pm »

This is a very interesting topic. Two researchers at the UofU chased American Antelope all day once and never got them tired enough to collapse. Later they surmised the antelope were "switching off" with each other as they ran through the herd in the middle of pursuit, so in essence they were running a relay. They concluded man was slower, but they weren't talking about physical speed. As a kid I rode the same horse 30+ miles a day for six days in a row on the annual roundup. I wasn't riding at marathon pace, but there have been a few times I've ridden marathon pace for a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure I couldn't carry 200 pounds (like a horse does) and outrun a horse in a marathon. Actually, I'd still vote for the horse if we ran  naked (well, we could both wear shoes... and shorts). I think the Irish horses who lost to humans were just nags. Fastest human vs fastest horse? I'm going to have to vote horse. In shape human vs out of shape horse? Human. Out of shape human vs out of shape horse? Toss up.

Also, I don't think man evolved by running down game. If we evolved it was probably because we were running from each other. 
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 11:00:37 pm »

Somebody had better add a comment to this thread or I'll feel like it's another one that I killed.

A horse might not be a fair choice for an animal competitor because they've been bred for speed over the last 4000 years. A zebra is fair. A man could run down a zebra. So here are my votes with the race being held on the savannah: man vs horse, horse; man vs zebra, man; man vs antelope, man; man vs giraffe, man; man vs dog, man; man vs cheetah, man (we're talking endurance, not speed), man vs ostrich, man, probably. Any others? I could be wrong on the horse.

Jeff Linger

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 06:55:57 am »

Again, this is somewhat of a silly conversation if we're speaking strictly endurance and not some combination of endurance and speed. To put it another way: People say to me all the time, wow, a marathon, I could never do that. To which I reply: "Anyone can do a marathon, its like Steven Wright said, 'Anywhere is within walking distance if you've got the time.' "

Time and space. If all we're examining is space with little consideration to time, what's the point?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: