Fast Running Blog
May 17, 2024, 05:57:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Step  (Read 3580 times)
Laurie Pope
Lurker

« on: May 28, 2008, 09:29:03 am »

Okay, except for the week before and after Ogden Half (2:50) I have been logging 3/4 days of running.  About 2-4 miles during the week and up to 8 miles on Saturday.  I need to improve, and want to break 5 hours by Portland Marathon in October for which I am registered.  I want to run another half but am debating on the timing.  I was thinking provo, or Hobble creek.  I am thinking if I am trying for a good half the hobblecreek might be too soon before the Portland Marathon. I am following weight watchers, less fat, more fruit, more water and am losing some weight (I know it will help).  And cutting out almost all of the diet coke(soda) It's a treat with 12oz a week is about the max.

So anyways back to the question, is my next step just to increase number of runs right now?  Focus on getting 6 days a week of running and keeping my daily miles about the same (3-4 miles) With a long run once a week that I increase about a mile a week?  Do I need to get a speed workout during one of my runs, tempo, or sprints? And should one of the runs include a bunch of uphill speedwork? 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:35:41 pm by Laurie Pope » Logged
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:58:11 am »

I think you first priority should be what you have already mentioned - get your body used to running 6 days/week, 3-4 miles/day, perhaps with a longer run on Saturday like you are already doing.  Once you are used to running 6 days/week, start to gradually increase the weekly mileage, no more than 10% of your previous week's miles, with either a slight drop on mileage or maintaining mileage once every 3 weeks or so.  I would not worry about speedwork at this point - it is not going to do you much good, and may leave you more prone to injury.  I just broke my post-HS 5K PR running only "base" miles, and do not plan on adding speedwork until I reach 50 miles/week.  A lot of the other things you are currently doing (losing weight, healthier diet, cutting out the soda) are going to help you quite a bit.  Keep up the good work - you will see a lot of positive results!  Do you have a goal you are aiming for right now other than increased fitness (another 1/2 marathon, marathon, etc.)?  This may help the others to offer more suggestions as to your training, but the big thing right now is getting in the consistent miles 6 days/week.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:10:13 pm »

I fully agree with everything James said. To add extra emphasis, do not skip days! There is a big difference between planning to get out 6 days a week and actually doing so, and you will definitely know the difference in the last 6 miles of a marathon.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:27:14 pm »

I agree with the last two smarty pants.  I think either half is fine.  If you want more recovery time then do Provo river but if you are training for a full you usually don't need as mcuh recovery time for a half.  I do both and race St.George in Oct.   Consistancy is the key!
Laurie Pope
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:57 am »

Thanks for the help.  I am registered for Hobblecreek now and Portland on October 5th.  Out of the six day a week how many days are "easy runs"? 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 03:43:59 pm »

All should be easy unless your legs are just itching to go fast. If they do, throw in a couple of strides or pickups. But I would reserve that itching for local 5 Ks. Invest your energy into going longer if you are approaching the end of your run towards the end of the week and are feeling exceptionally feisty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: