Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 07:52:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pain in my Knee  (Read 2905 times)
Camille Smithson
Lurker

« on: February 11, 2009, 01:29:00 pm »

Okay... I don't know what the problem is (ACL, IT Band, etc).  But I need some advice.  My knee started hurting yesterday after my run.  It was my right knee, and it hurt on the out side of the knee from the bottom to top.  Right after I ran it hurt ALOT.  I couldn't walk on it because bending it (just a slight bend) was unbareable.  If I got past the slight bend, it didn't hurt too bad (I hope that makes sense).  I took IBprofen and rested when I got back, and the pain level went down.  Today it hurts if I get up from sitting for a while (like I am at my desk right now).  I need advice because the Ragnar is in 3 weeks (or less than 3 weeks) and I have been planning on running in it for almost 2 years now (since I participated in the first one). 

Any advice is much appericated.  If you advice is to rest it, than what kind of exercizes do you reccomend?

thanks.
Camille
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:58:59 pm »

Camille, it sound like your knee is complaining about the runs.
I would suggest a little bit less mileage, ice after running and at night (if you run in the mornings) and as much rest as possible. If pain continues or increases, you would need to see a doctor...

I hope you get well soon.

James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:26:57 pm »

What you are are describing sounds very much like a tight IT Band.  The area of pain you described is just about exactly where my knee starts to hurt when my IT Band gets too tight, although mine is very localized to the exact center of the outside of the knee joint - right about where the menisci are.  Here's a good article with some IT Band stretches:

http://www.howtostretch.com/iliotibi.htm

If your IT Band is tight, you are going to feel a really good stretch up around the outside of your hip.  One of the other things you should look at is if you always run on the same side of the road (i.e. run on the right side of the road and run a loop) - this can throw you off kilter because the roads here are crowned.  My chiropractor always tells me to make sure I either alternate sides of the road, or run an out-and-back on the same side of the road.  Eric's other suggestions are good as well - ice should help, ibuprofen will help with pain, but will only help with swelling if you maintain a certain level in your bloodstream.  If it still hurts after a week, go get it checked out by a doc.  Preferrably an orthopedic or someone with a sports medicine specialty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: