Fast Running Blog
May 10, 2024, 01:35:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running of Leopards 5k, should we add an age-graded mile with prize $$.  (Read 4105 times)
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« on: January 11, 2011, 02:01:59 pm »

It was suggested to me that a growing trend in the road racing community was a mile race on the road and they are often age graded for competition purposes.  I know many would like to run a fast mile time again and our last mile is fast and ends on the track.  Many High School kids are in track mode preparing for the mile and it might be fun to form some type of team scoring among schools.  But mainly want to get some feed back from those who have come to our race.  It is the first race of the USATF LDR curcuit so I don't think we would score it for that because we want more head to head competition when possible.  But maybe in the future if many want/like this.  I know it is not equal to doing a mile on the track, and it is aided by 1-2% grade, but you still have to turn the legs over.  And I think it would be fun to see how fast we still could go.  One idea that has come up is doing a brag shirt that has the year and your time printed on it. Let me know what you think we are still in the idea stage and our race is March 26th this year. Currently, all the money that has been raised from the previous races has gone to the PTSA.  This mile race would be sponsored by the East Cross Country team as a fund raiser for their program.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:12:46 am »

Sure Bill, sounds great.

I'm still busy being cranky about the LDR Circuit expelling the Ogden Marathon in favor of something I've never heard of called "the Provo Marathon". I think I'm going to boycott the circuit this year. So if you have a 5k that is part of the circuit and a mile that isn't, I'll do the mile.
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:54:32 am »

Rob, We were very disappointed too about not being able to have Ogden Marathon on the circuit.  It is a great race that has been a great tradition. The problem that arises is they have grown so much that they have had to impose participation limits.  This created a problem for those doing the circuit and could not get registered in the race.  We are currently talking with them to find a way to have them back next year.  We want the circuit competitive and are adding races that may bring us more competitors.  So, since we lost Ogden this year we wanted to add this other marathon, which is in Provo and may help bring some Utah County runners to the LDR. Having new races makes it different each year and adds a different challenge.  Just like new runners moving up in age groups, change brings new challenges.  We need great runners like you participating in the circuit, without good competition the races are just another local 5K that can be found almost every weekend.  We want the best runners, but want it to be open to everyone at all levels.  Each participating for their own goals.  I appreciate your input and hope we can improve the circuit to get more races and more runners involved. 
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:23 am »

OK Bill, I see your points. Still, several thousand people figured out how to get registered in time for the Ogden Marathon. There are a million and one reasons why individual runners might not be able to compete on the Circuit. Last year I wasn't able to run Ogden because it conflicted with the state track meet. So I ran Utah Valley instead in 2:43 and won the masters division. Still, no circuit points though. What does Utah Valley have to do to get on the circuit?

So this year I decide to make Ogden a priority, pay close attention to the registration dates, and get all registered on time. Then it gets dropped from the circuit. I'm guessing that I will run about 2:39 and that it will be my only marathon of the year. I'm not one of those people who can run five or six marathons a year. Once again, I'll get no circuit points. Probably some guy will go down to Provo, run 3:06, and rack up a pile of points and kick my ass on the circuit.

I know this isn't an exact science, and that you guys have to weigh lots of factors in choosing races for the circuit. Still when rinky dink 5ks that no one's ever heard of are on the circuit and major races that people point to for months are not, it's frustrating.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:56:48 am »

On a more positive note, the Running of the Leopards is really a great race and I will make sure we have a pile of Alta High kids there racing. You can always tell a race that is directed by a runner with runners in mind.
steve ashbaker
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:42 am »

That's ok Rob,  Maybe I'll go down to the Provo marathon and make sure that won't happen..

steve ashbaker
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:46:20 pm »

From the ratio of views to posts I guess people in our area don't want to run/compete in a road mile...
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »

i would definitely be interested in participating in a road mile. if that is an option for this year's race, i would sign up for the mile over the 5k. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: