Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 09:49:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Short build-up for a marathon  (Read 5185 times)
allie
Posting Member

« on: June 26, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »

The Deseret News Marathon is exactly four weeks away -- it's the race that I have been building up to since the beginning of this year. I haven't been able to run for the last month due to a tibial stress fracture, but I have recently been cleared to run again and I am slowly trying to build my mileage back without reinjury. I recognize that I am really pushing it with only four weeks of training, and I know that there are no shortcuts when training for a marathon. I am not looking for shortcuts or any magical training programs, but I am wondering if this is in the realm of possibility given my mileage base from the beginning of the year. Here are some numbers:

Monthly mileage from January 1 - June 26:
254.5, 235.5, 211.1, 248, 103, 9.
In the past two months I have been able to stay mostly consistent with cross training. I have had a total of 11 "zero" training days and 23 cross training days. I would estimate that I have been getting in 30-35 mpw equivalent from cross training (mostly biking up hills). I started running again last week -- 2-3 miles per day at a slow jog. I do not feel like I have lost too much CV fitness, but it's hard to say since I haven't been running at a normal pace. Even if I have retained some general CV fitness, I know that I am not in running shape right now. The last time I ran 10 miles was on May 28th, and the last time I ran longer than 3.5 miles was on May 30th.

The biggest question here is if a marathon in four weeks is even a possibility. I am not looking to run it fast, but I am also not looking to jog/hobble through it, or worse, have to DNF because my legs can't handle it. Is four weeks enough time to get back into running mode, or should I just forget about it and turn my focus to the fall? I am planning on running the TOU marathon in September, and one of the main reasons why I would like to run Des News is to get a marathon in as part of my training for TOU. I feel like getting a summer marathon in before TOU would be more beneficial for me than not running one at all, especially because I wasn't able to run a spring marathon this year.

If I do attempt to train for Des News, what would be the best things to focus on in training? Any suggestions on what the next four weeks would look like in terms of mileage and types of runs?

Thanks.

Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 11:24:18 pm »

Allie -- In short, yes you can get ready in time for the race. Recently, top marathoners have been using a lot less tapering and doing very well. In fact, many are running faster with a short taper than the old three week taper period many use. So that will help to extend your training window.  I have worked through and coached athletes that have had stress fractures and/or stress reactions and if you listen to your body to a degree you will be fine.  My suggestion would be to start working on aerobic base running on softer surfaces, but not uneven, unstable surfaces.  Run longer each day as long as it does not hurt worst than the previous day. If you are favoring or limping through any of the run, stop.  I found with my stress fracture in my femur, I could run relatively pain free bare foot on the grass, but in shoes on the road it would hurt. So I knew I was not ready to really train yet. As you build your base, I would pool run 3-4 times a week. Use this for you speed workouts and tempo runs. The runs on land should be relaxed but as long as you can handle without causing gait issues.  Marathon training is about sustaining a long run with functional efficiency. I have a bunch of ideas that I would try but it would take to long to write them here. If you can meet up and run sometime with the xc team during the week. We could talk. 
The main thing is to listen to what your body will let you do. Don't run it if you physically can not that would just be a set back. But start training now as if that is your goal to run it and if your body lets you then do it.  If not, make adjustments and move on to the next goal.  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:51:09 am by Bill Cobler » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:05:15 am »

I guess, I'm more conservative than many, but no, if it were me, I would not run it. There is very little potential benefit to running it, and much risk. If I may speak plainly, I think you would do very well at TOU without "tuning up" with Des News. In fact, you'll do better.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:03 am »

I think that the severe downhills will put too much strain on your tibias and you are risking aggravating your injury.  I'm with Paul, the risk is too high with very little reward.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »

Remember my Boston 2010. I did not have a stress fracture but I did have interrupted training for three weeks due to a particular bad case of tendinitis. I ended up PRing (because it was a soft PR) but my body really was not ready to handle an all out marathon and it was a very long time until I was ready to go again (about 2 months!). I didn't mind at all as Boston was my goal race for the year.

I think you have to keep in mind that you may be risking TOU. I would just "train through" the race with no taper and focus on getting miles into the legs again. If you do it, you can't have it be a full effort. You should run ridiculously slowly to begin with. Maybe run like a 9 minute mile up little mountain.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »

Allie--I would hate to see you get injured in DesNews and blow your chance for an awesome showing at Top of Utah.  I would skip DesNews.  That seems like a lot of serious pounding on freshly healed stress fractures.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:31 pm »

What is the best case scenario?  You finish DesNews with an ok time, don't get injured, and run a great TOU.  What is worst case?  You get reinjured during DesNews and can't run TOU.  Is running a mediocre DN worth the risk of TOU?  Up for you to decide.

I'd lean towards what Paul, et al, says.  I'd rather have a better shot at a great race then possibly not have a shot to run due to what, at best, would be an ok race.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:35:50 am »

I wouldn't do it.  Same reason as everyone else.  Too much risk, not enough reward.  Four weeks prep for a marathon is just not going to give you a satisfying race anyway, even if you do manage to run it without re-injury.  If it were me I would consider running the half instead.  Or you could find some smaller marathon somewhere a few weeks later (Park City?) or even just go on a 26 mile run if you are really itching to get the full distance in once before TOU. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:46:00 am by Joe Furse » Logged
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:18 am »

Thank you very much for all of your input. Although I hate the thought of missing out on Des News (it's a tradition!), I can definitely see the risks and it probably isn't the most sensible thing to do. I was pretty adamant that I was still going to run it, even when the doctor told me I would be out for 4-8 weeks. But I guess it doesn't make much sense to risk the rest of the year in the name of tradition (or stubbornness). TOU is definitely the more important race for me this year.

My "four week comeback" plan isn't going well anyway. I was hoping to be up to 6 miles a day this week (3am/3pm), but my leg has been protesting, which means I am going to have to ease back into training more slowly than I thought.

Thanks again for the advice.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:21:31 am »

Take your time. You are young. Lots of marathons do to in the future, so don't worry about this summer.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:21:04 pm »

As for your leg protesting during your build-up, I for one dealt with some "phantom" pains during my transition back into running.  I would think I felt something at the stress fracture site, but then wouldn't be sure.  I guess it's a good mechanism to keep from coming back to fast, but it kept freaking me out until they finally stopped.  They did go away around a month after starting running again.    I've heard this is normal to "feel" the stress fractures for a while after they are healed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: